Men's Sports Women's Sports
directors cup
March 26, 2013

Ephs Capture 13-11 Win Over Skidmore

SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY – Two teams seeking to break two-game losing streaks met at Skidmore College on Tuesday night and visiting Williams captured a 13-11 victory.

With the win the Ephs improve to 2-3 on the year, while Skidmore falls to 2-6.

Despite being out shot 5-0 in the early portion of the first quarter the Ephs maintained their poise and withstood the early Skidmore flurry and netted the game's first goal at 10:08 a shot by Conor Roddy. Roddy's shot was the first by Williams in the contest.

Skidmore answered at 6:27 when Mike Perlow scored, but from that point on it was all Williams for the remainder of the stanza as the Ephs fired in three unanswered goals.

The Ephs' second goal came on an unassisted tally by Colton Growney at 3:03, putting the Ephs up 2-1.

When Skidmore turned the ball over with less than a minute left in the quarter the Ephs held the ball until 39 seconds remained in the period and then they called a timeout to set up a play to try and net a goal. As it turned out the Ephs got two goals in the final 39 seconds.

Will Stewart scored from 15 yards out to the left of Skidmore goalie Matt Diaco off a feed from Jack Lauroesch at 0:23 and then David Lee netted a goal with just one second left in the quarter from in close, unassisted.

The Ephs took a three-goal lead after one period, 4-1. And owned a 10-9 shot advantage.

Conor Roddy lifted the Eph lead to 5-1 when he scored at 13:53 of the second quarter, extending the Eph streak of consecutive goals to four.

Skidmore picked up their intensity on the offensive end after the Roddy goal and controlled play for much of the next 10 minutes, netting two goals to narrow the Eph lead to 5-3. Thoroughbred tallies came from JP Sullivan from the left wing at 10:52, with Jon Hoenig getting credit for the assist, At 4:53 Hoenig registered his second assist and Perlow netted his second goal.

The Ephs scored their second and the final goal of the quarter when Steve Kiesel worked his way down into the circle from the left of Diaco and tallied an unassisted goal with 1:07 to play in the first half.

Williams led at the half 6-3.

The Ephs again out shot the Thoroughbreds in second quarter by 12-10, but in the first half Skidmore fired 13 shots on goal and the Ephs' 11.

Eph goalie Dan Whittam notched 10 saves in the first 30 minutes and Skidmore's Matt Diaco recorded 5.

Skidmore opened the third quarter by winning the first two faceoffs and turning those possessions into goals. Mike Perlow netted his third goal of the contest at 13:48 when he drifted to Whittam's left and then bounced a shot across the face of the goal to the right side.

The next Skidmore goal came just 6 seconds later and cut the Eph lead to one, 6-5, when JP Sullivan scored off a feed by Taylor Best.

The Ephs owned the third faceoff of the quarter, but turned the ball over after a short period of possession.

Skidmore, riding a wave of momentum scored a third straight goal at 10:55 and knotted the game at 6 all. The Thoroughbreds' Bryan Connolly scored from in front on an unassisted effort.

The Ephs finally recorded a shot in the third quarter at the 8:52 mark. Tanner MacIvor ripped off a laser from the out top in front of the goal and it eluded Diaco to put the Ephs back in front 7-6. This lead the Ephs would not relinquish.

The Eph lead grew to 8-6 when Colton Growney raced down the right side of the goal, reversed his direction and fired a left handed shot past Diaco at 6:45.

In a man-up opportunity, Steven Kiesel set up Evan Dedominicis at 4:39 for a shot from 11 yards out to Diaco's left. Dedominicis's shot screamed over the Diaco's left knee, giving the Ephs a 3-goal lead, 9-6.

Skidmore's Matt Ohara scored from in close with 1:38 left in the quarter to make it 9-7, but that goal was answered just 18 seconds later when the Ephs won the faceoff and Connor Roddy was setup by a feed from David Lee.

The Eph lead of 10-7 would grow to 11-7 when Will Stewart converted off a pass from Connor Roddy. Skidmore's Mike Perlow got the Thoroughbreds back to within 3, 11-8 when he netted his fourth goal of the night late in the third quarter on an unassisted effort.

Williams took an 11-8 lead at the end of three quarters. Skidmore out shot the Ephs in the third quarter 9-8. The Eph attack again started late in the quarter, but they scored on their first three shots.

Williams opened the scoring in the final quarter when Evan Dedominicis scored at 13:48, boosting the Eph lead to four, 12-8. Ryan Prokesch hit Evan Dedominicis up top for high shot that found the twine

Mike Perlow's fifth goal of the contest at 12:25 narrowed the Ephs' lead to three, 12-9. Bryan Connolly assisted on the Perlow score.

With the three-goal lead and possession the Ephs called a timeout with 10:39 to play.

The Ephs' re-established a 4-goal lead, 13-9, at 6:26 when Kiesel and Dedominicis teamed up for a score by Dedominicis from in close on the right side of the goal.

JP Sullivan cleaned up a save by Whittam off a Skidmore shot that popped outside the circle and narrowed the Eph lead to 13-10. Skidmore won the resulting faceoff and put pressure on the Ephs, but the Williams defense forced a Skidmore turnover with just under 3:13 to play.

Only 32 seconds remained when the Thoroughbreds got an unassisted score from Kevin Mulvey. Mulvey circled from behind the goal to Whittam's left and squeezed a shot inside the near post.

Williams owned the resulting faceoff after the Mulvey goal and held the ball till the end and claimed the 13-11 victory.

"Skidmore is always tough and they always seem to mount comebacks against us," said Eph head coach George McCormack. "It was nice to see us bounce back after two tough losses [Catholic and Connecticut College]. I thought our offense really showed up tonight. This was big for us to establish some momentum heading into a NESCAC home weekend."

'David Lee was awesome," added McCormack. "It seemed like he won every faceoff [20 of 27] and then he scored what I think was his first collegiate goal to end the second quarter after making a nice move."

The Ephs scored two man-up goals to Skidmore's one on the night. The Ephs' Dan Whittam turned aside 12 of 23 shots by Skidmore, while the Thoroughbreds' Matt Diaco stopped 10 of 23 shots by Williams.

The Ephs won an impressive 20 of 27 faceoffs on the night, putting Williams on the attack from the mid point of the first quarter on.

Though victorious the Ephs were charged with 19 turnovers and Skidmore 14. Ground balls on the night were even at 27. Williams held a slight advantage in shots 37-35, but both teams put 23 shots on goal.

Skidmore's Mike Perlow notched a game-high 5 goals and JP Sullivan added three for Skidmore.

Williams was led in scoring by Evan Dedominicis and Conor Roddy who each tallied three goals and Colton Growney added two.

Next up for the Ephs is a NESCAC weekend at home that will pair them against Bates at 1:00 PM on Saturday and Bowdoin on Sunday at 1:00 PM.

View: Mobile | Desktop