The Williams Men's tennis team scraped by Claremont-Mudd-Scripps in what proved to be an intensely close early season match.
Williams won two of the three matches in doubles play, which proved to be the difference in the end. Wins came from the number two team of Felix Sun and Matt Micheli, and the number three pair of Kevin Shallcross and Will Petrie.
The Ephs needed just three of the six matches in singles play, and that is exactly what they got. Felix Sun was first off court with a smooth, straight set, 6-2, 6-0 victory. Will Petrie was next to tally a point for Williams with an equally impressive 6-0, 6-1 win. The Stags climbed back into the match with close wins at numbers one and three. Bryan Chow stepped up to give the Ephs their fifth and final point, winning his match at number five, 7-6 (5) , 6-1.
Last spring in the NCAA Quarterfinal match versus Claremont-Mudd-Scripps it was BryanChow who recorded the fifth and decisive point.
"I thought we started off strong in doubles and let them back in a little bit in singles, but we stayed tough for the win," commented head coach Dan Greenberg, "Our seniors did a great job setting the tone. This was a great match for us early in the season, and we've got another tough one tomorrow."
Williams will take on Redlands Saturday at 4:00 PST.
1. Alex Lane / Warren Wood (CMS) def. Bryan Chow / Trey Meyer (Williams) 8-6
2. Felix Sun / Matt Micheli (Williams) def. Zhenya Pereverzin / Brandon Wei (CMS) 8-3
3. Kevin Shallcross / Will Petrie (Williams) def. Robbie Erani / Victor Chien (CMS) 8-5
1. Alex Lane (CMS) def. Trey Meyer (Williams) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Felix Sun (Williams) def. Warren Wood (CMS) 6-2, 6-0
3. Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Matt Micheli (Williams) 6-4, 7-5
4. Alex Johsnon (CMS) def. Zach Weiss (Williams) 3-6, 6-0, 7-5
5. Bryan Chow (Williams) def. Mac Cahill (CMS) 7-6(5), 6-1
6. Will Petrie (Williams) def. Andrew Duckworth (CMS) 6-0, 6-1