HARTFORD -- The Williams men's tennis team earned its first conference win of the springon Monday, with a dominating 8-1 victory at Trinity. The Ephs improved to 10-0 overall and 2-0 in NESCAC play.
The Ephs jumped out to an early 2-1 lead in doubles play behind wins from their numbers 2 and 3 teams. Felix Sun and Matt Micheli took their pro-set 8-3 at the two position, and Kevin Shallcross and Will Petrie won 8-1 at the number three spot.
Matt Micheli was the only Eph not to win in straight sets during singles play. Micheli lost his first set 7-5, but came back to win the next two 6-1, 6-3.
"Trinity has a lot of talent so it was great that we were able to get two quick doubles matches and all six singles. I felt our focus was much improved from our last match, which was crucial," commented head coach Dan Greenberg.
Williams will face a stern test in #7 Middlebury on Friday. Middlebury is one of three NESCAC teams ranked in the top 10 nationally. Match time is set for 4:00 PM in Williamstown.
1. McCook/Mandel (T) def Chow/Meyer (W) 8-4
2. Sun/Micheli (W) def McConnell/Lee (T) 8-3
3. Shallcross/Petrie (W) def Ayres/Mbithi (T) 8-1
1. Meyer (W) def McCook (T) 6-1, 6-3
2. Sun (W) def Lee (T) 6-4, 6-2
3. Micheli (W) def Marfatia (T) 5-7, 6-1, 6-3
4. Weiss (W) def McConnell (T) 6-2, 6-2
5. Chow (W) def Mandel (T) 7-5, 6-0
6. Petrie (W) def Carpenter (T) 6-1, 6-4