#3 Ephs Top #7 Middlebury
WILLIAMSTOWN, MA -- The Williams men's tennis team (11-0/3-0 NESCAC) picked up a NESCAC win over a top 10 team on Friday, taking down the Middlebury Panthers 7-2 (10-3/2-1 NESCAC).
Williams picked up two of the three doubles matches behind strong play from their top two pairs. Bryan Chow and Trey Meyer won their pro-set 8-2 at number one, and Felix Sun and Matt Micheli took their's 8-3.
Looking to continue the momentum into singles play, Williams got a quick win at number two from Felix Sun. Middlebury then grabbed the number three match, but Williams rebounded with straight set wins from Will Petrie and Bryan Chow shortly after.
Trey Meyer was pushed in his first set at the number one position, taking it in a tie-break. He was able to take the momentum from the tie-break win into the second set, which he won 6-1. Zach Weiss added a three-set victory at number four to round out the contest.
"Middlebury is obviously is a very tough team, we played some of their players in the fall and they're very good. We started out strong in doubles, and everybody played steady throughout we didn't have many ups and downs which was great to see," commented head coach Dan Greenberg after the match.
Williams will continue its conference schedule Sunday, when they take on Connecticut College at home.
1. Chow/Meyer (W) def Jones/Lebovite (M) 8-2
2. Sun/Micheli (W) def Lunghino/Farah (M) 8-3
3. Parower/Angle (M) def Shallcross/Petrie (W) 8-4
1. Meyer (W) def Jones (M) 7-6 (2), 6-1
2. Sun (W) def Parower (M) 6-1, 6-0
3. Angle (M) def Micheli (W) 6-2, 6-0
4. Weiss (W) def Lunghino (M) 6-3, 4-6, 10-4
5. Chow (W) def Fitzgibbons (M) 6-3, 6-3
6. Petrie (W) def Farah (M) 6-1, 6-4