WILLIAMSTOWN, MA – The 3rd ranked Williams College Ephs hosted the 1st ranked Amherst Lord Jeffs on Sunday afternoon in a match forced indoors to the Lansing Chapmen Rink due to inclement weather. In what was a grueling and competitive match, the Lord Jeffs emerged victorious defeating the Ephs 5-4.
Williams jumped out to an early 2-1 match lead after a strong performance in doubles play. Leading the way for the Ephs were senior co-captains Will Petrie and Kevin Shallcross who defeated Robby Sorrel and Wes Waterman of Amherst 8-4. Picking up the second win for the Ephs was the tandem of Felix Sun and Matt Micheli who earned an 8-4 match victory over Mark Kahan and Chris Dale. Austin Chafetz and Luis Rattenhuber picked up Amherst's lone double victory as they defeated Bryan Chow and Trey Meyer, 8-5.
Coach Dan Greenberg was especially pleased with his team's doubles play. He commented, "I thought our doubles play was as good as it was all year, our energy was great, and it was great to see our two and three parings step up."
Moving to the singles side of the match, Amherst was able to win three out of the first four matches played. Mark Kahan, Luis Rattenhuber and Joey Fritz earned victories for Amherst to put the Lord Jeffs in control of the match.
Capturing Williams' only singles victory on the afternoon was Felix Sun who defeated Austin Chafetz, 6-2, 6-2.
Leading 4-3 and with only two matches left undecided, Amherst was able to continue their strong singles play en route to the match victory. Sealing the victory for the Lord Jeffs was Andrew Jung who defeated Bryan Chow in three sets, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3.
Senior co-captain Will Petrie picked up the second Eph singles victory with a 6-3, 3-6, 7-5 win over Amherst's Wes Waterman.
"Obviously singles came down to the wire, but I thought every match competed," remarked Greenberg after the match. He went on to say, "There were one or two moments in each match that made the difference, but hopefully we get to see them again."
The Ephs will return to action next Saturday at Bowdoin in a match slated to get underway at 2 PM.
1. Luis Rattenhuber/Austin Cafetz (AMH) def. Trey Meyer/Bryan Chow (WIL) 8-5
2. Felix Sun/Matt Micheli (WIL) def. Mark Kahan/Chris Dale (AMH) 8-4
3. Kevin Shallcross/Will Petrie (WIL) def. Robby Sorrel/Wes Waterman (AMH) 8-4
1. Mark Kahan (AMH) def. Trey Meyer (WIL) 6-4, 6-1
2. Felix Sun (WIL) def. Austin Chafetz (AMH) 6-4, 6-2
3. Luis Rattenhuber (AMH) def. Matt Micheli (WIL) 6-3, 6-4
4. Joey Fritz (AMH) def. Zach Weiss (WIL) 6-2, 1-6, 7-5
5. Andrew Jung (AMH) def. Bryan Chow (WIL) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
6. Will Petrie (WIL) def. Wes Waterman (WIL) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5