BRUNSWICK, ME-- The Williams men's tennis team (14-1/5-1 NESCAC) squeaked out a NESCAC road victory over the Bowdoin Polar Bears, 5-4.
Williams took a 2-1 lead into singles play behind solid performances from their top two pairs. Bryan Chow and Trey Meyer took down their opponents 8-2, and Felix Sun and Matt Micheli won by a slightly narrower margin, 8-4.
Williams stumbled through singles play but managed the three wins that they needed to seal the match. Wins came from Felix Sun at number two, Matt Micheli at three, and Will Petrie at number six, each in straight sets.
Coach Greenberg had the following to say about the match: "We weren't as focused as we needed to be but we beat a tough Bowdoin team on the road, so that's a good effort."
1. Chow/Meyer (W) def Pena/King (B) 8-2
2. Sun/Micheli (W) def Wolstencroft/Caplan (B) 8-4
3. Gordon/Lord (B) def Shallcros/Petrie (W) 8-6
1. Pena (B) def Meyer (W) 7-5, 6-4
2. Sun (W) def King (B) 6-3, 6-1
3. Micheli (W) def Lord (B) 7-5, 6-2
4. Grindon (B) def Weiss (W) 6-4, 6-1
5. Bragg (B) def Chow (W) 7-5, 3-6, 11-9
6. Petrie (W) def Wolstencroft (B) 6-0, 6-1