REDLANDS, CA—The Williams men's tennis team held off a late charge from Redlands College to take the important spring break match 5-4.
Williams jumped our to a 3-0 lead in doubles play, which would prove to be crucial. Alex Schidlovsky and Trey Meyer won their pro-set at number one 8-4. The veteran duo of Matt Micheli and Felix Sun added another 8-4 win, and Brian Chow and Brian Astrachan finished off doubles with an 8-6 win.
Williams lost numbers 1-4 in singles play, but were saved by Brian Chow and Howie Weiss at numbers five and six. Chow won his match in straight sets 6-0, 6-5, and Weiss defeated his opponent 6-3, 6-3.
"Redlands never gave up and fought really well in singles," commented Dan Greenberg, "fortunately we had a cushion from doubles and came up in some key moments at five and six."
Williams continues their west coast swing with a double header tomorrow against DePauw and Wisconsin-Whitewater.
1. Schidlovsky/Meyer (W) def Lipscomb/Leafy (R) 8-4
2. Micheli/Sun (W) def Cummins/Hyde (R) 8-4
3. Chow/Astrachan (W) def Jones/Licoma (R) 8-6
1. Lipscomb (R) def Meyer (W) 6-1, 6-2
2. Cummins (R) def Sun (W) 6-1, 6-3
3. Hyde (R) def Micheli (W) 6-3, 6-2
4. Hunt (R) def Z. Weiss (W) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5)
5. Chow (W) def Nanda (R) 6-0, 6-5
6. H. Weiss (W) def Brenner (R) 6-2, 6-3