CLAREMONT, CA—The Williams men's tennis team continued their spring break trip on Sunday with two 9-0 wins over Depauw and Wisconsin-Whitewater.
Williams won two 8-6 matches from the teams of Alex Schidlovsky and Trey Meyer and Brian Chow and Brian Astrachan in doubles during their morning match against DePauw. Matt Micheli and Felix Sun gave the Ephs a 3-0 lead with an 8-4 win.
Williams cruised through singles play, with five of six wins coming in straight sets. Zach Weiss dropped his first set but battled back to win the next to two 6-1, 6-3.
"We started off a little slowly in doubles but eventually found our rhythm," said head coach Dan Greenberg.
It was more of the same in the afternoon match with Wisconsin-Whitewater. Williams swept doubles play, and then won five of six matches again in straight sets.
This time it was Howie Weiss dropping the first set, but battling back to a 6-2 win in the second, and took his super tiebreak 10-8.
"It was a long day of tennis so it was great to see everybody stay focused through the end," said Greenberg.
Williams returns to action tomorrow against the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs tomorrow.
WILLIAMS 9 – DEPAUW 0
1. Schidlovsky/Meyer (W) def Miles/Kopecky (D) 8-6
2. Micheli/Sun (W) def Moss/Garlock (D) 8-4
3. Chow/Astrachan (W) def Bertolini/Kaczkowski (D) 8-6
1. Meyer (W) def Miles (D) 6-4, 6-0
2. Sun (W) def Kopecky (D) 6-1, 6-3
3. Micheli (W) def Bertolini (D) 6-1, 7-5
4. Z. Weiss (W) def Moss (D) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. H. Weiss (W) def Garlock (D) 6-2, 6-0
6. D. Page (W) def Kaczkowski (D) 6-3, 6-3
WILLIAMS 9 – WISCONSIN-WHITEWATER 0
1. Schidlovsky/Meyer (WIL) def Shkyler/Osbourne (WWW) 8-6
2. Micheli/Sun (WIL) def Balkin/Bayliss (WWW) 8-3
3. Chow/Astrachan (WIL) def McGlashen/Humphreys (WWW) 8-4
1. Sun (WIL) def Shkyler (WWW) 6-1, 6-3
2. Micheli (WIL) def Balkin (WWW) 6-4, 6-0
3. Z. Weiss (WIL) def McGlashen (WWW) 6-2, 6-1
4. B. Chow (WIL) def Humphreys (WWW) 6-4, 6-4
5. H. Weiss (WIL) def Bayliss (WWW) 2-6, 6-2, 10-8
6. A. Reich (WIL) def Osborne (WWW) 6-3, 6-1