Men's Tennis Edges UC Santa Cruz 6-3
CLAREMONT,CA-- The Williams men's tennis team picked up a close 6-3 win over the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs, a perennially tough match on their spring break trip.
Williams held a 2-1 lead after doubles play thanks in large part to Alex Shidlovsky and Trey Meyer at number one. The duo won big points down the stretch to take their proset 9-7. "Number one doubles is really starting to gel as a team," said head coach Dan Greenberg. "As a freshman, Alex is on a steep learning curve and is getting better every day." Matt Micheli and Felix Sun were the other doubles winners, taking their proset 8-4.
Meyer came up big again in singles play with a big win at number one. He won his first set in a tiebreak, but lost the second 6-3. Meyer quickly closed the deal with a 6-1 win in the third set.
Micheli also picked up a crucial three set win. Micheli won his first set 6-4, but would drop his second. Like Meyer, he left nothing to chance in the third and took it 6-2.
Said Greenberg, "Doubles is really starting to come together for us and in singles we're also looking stronger. This was our fourth match in three days so it's great to get the win against a good team."
Williams will enjoy a few days of practice before taking the courts again Thursday against Westmont.
1. Shidlovsky/Meyer (W) def Koenig/Rosner (SC) 9-7
2. Micheli/Sun (W) def Bettwy/Littlejohn (SC) 8-4
3. Goetz/Halabi (SC) def Chow/Astrachan (W) 8-6
1. Meyer (W) def Koenig (SC) 7-6 (4), 3-6, 6-1
2. Halabi (SC) def Sun (W) 6-3, 6-3
3. Micheli (W) def Bettwy (SC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
4. Rogers (SC) def Z. Weiss (W) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
5. Chow (W) def Scandalis (SC) 6-3, 7-5
6. H. Weiss (W) def Rosner (SC) 7-5, 6-2