Men's Tennis Edges Westmont 5-4
SANTA BARBARA, CA-- The Williams men's tennis team fought off a tough Westmont (NAIA) team to earn another win in California.
Williams held a 2-1 lead after doubles play thanks to wins from the numbers two and three teams. Matt Micheli and Felix Sun won their pro-set 8-4 at number two, while Brian Astrachan and Brian Chow cruised to an 8-0 win at number three.
Howie Weiss gave Williams their only smooth singles win, a 6-1, 6-3 job at number three. Williams would need two more to win though, and Dylan Page and Brian Astrachan delivered. Page dropped his first set 7-5 but scraped out the second 7-5. He proved to be too much for his opponent in the third set, taking it 6-0. Astrachan won his first set 7-5 but dropped the second 3-6. With the match in the balance, Astrachan pulled out his third set 7-5.
"Brian and Dylan really dug deep to pull out this win and showed the team how we need to compete," commented head coach Dan Greenberg.
The Ephs wrap up their spring break tomorrow at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps.
1. Goranson/Bertram (WMONT) def Schidlovsky/Meyer (WIL) 8-6
2. Micheli/Sun (WIL) def Schaefer/Zielen (WMONT) 8-4
3. Chow/Astrachan (WIL) def Barnard/Kimsey (WMONT) 8-0
1. Goranson (WMONT) def Sun (WIL) 6-0, 6-2
2. Schaefer (WMONT) def Micheli (WIL) 6-1, 6-2
3. H. Weiss (WIL) def Bertram (WMONT) 6-1, 6-3
4. Page (WIL) def Barnard (WMONT) 5-7, 7-5, 6-0
5. Astrachan (WIL) def Zielen (WMONT) 7-5, 3-6, 7-5
6. Mackall (WIL) Szyndlan (WMONT) 6-4, 6-1