Ephs Fall to Claremont-Mudd-Scripps
CLAREMONT, CA-- The Williams men's tennis team finished their spring break trip on a sour note, falling 5-4 to Claremont-Mudd-Scripps.
Williams came out strong during the doubles session and were able to take two of three matches. Matt Micheli and Felix Sun won 8-6 at number two, and Brian Chow and Brian Astrachan continued their success with an 8-4 win at number three.
Bryan Chow was first off court in singles play, recording a 6-3, 6-2 win that gave the Ephs a 3-1 advantage. Felix Sun then brought the Ephs within one point of victory with a smooth 6-0, 6-4 result.
Matt Micheli won his first set and was a tiebreaker away from winning the scond, but he would lose that 7-5 and went on to lose the third set 6-3. Howie Weiss lost in straight sets, but both went to tiebreakers.
"This was a great match, but a tough loss," commented coach Dan Greenberg. "We had a few opportunities we let slip away and that's going to cost you against the best teams."
Next up for Williams is Skidmore, Saturday April 6 in Williamstown, followed by a NESCAC matchup with Bowdoin on Sunday.
1. Wood/Dorn (CMS) def Schidlovsky/Meyer (W) 8-2
2. Micheli/Sun (W) def Butts/Kotrappa (CMS) 8-6
3. Chow/Astrachan (W) def Marino/Lane (CMS)S 8-4
1. Wood (CMS) def Meyer (W) 7-5, 6-1
2. Sun (W) def Dorn (CMS) 6-0, 6-4
3. Marino (CMS) def Micheli (W) 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-3
4. Lane (CMS) def Z. Weiss (W) 6-1, 7-5
5. Chow (W) def Johnson (CMS) 6-3, 6-2
6. Kotrappa (CMS) def H. Weiss (W) 7-6 (3), 7-6, (2)