WILLIAMSTOWN-- The Williams men's tennis team improved to 11-2 Friday with a 9-0 out of conference win over Vassar College.
Williams led 3-0 after doubles, led by the two and three teams of Matt Micheli and Felix Sun, and Bryan Chow and Brian Astrachan. Micheli/Sun won their proset 8-2, and the pair of Brians blanked their opponents 8-0. Trey Meyer and Alex Schidlovsky needed extra points in a tiebreak to secure their win, winning 9-8 (9-7).
Williams won each of the singles matches in straight sets, but most were closely contested. Meyer and Sun each won 6-4, 6-3 at the one and two positions, respectively. Zach Weiss won 6-4, 7-5 at number four. Micheli, Chow, and Howie Weiss were slightly smoother; none lost more than four games in their matches.
"I thought we played solid throughout today," commented head coach Dan Greenberg. "Everything we worked on this week looked better and helped us get the win. We're looking forward to Amherst on Sunday."
Williams will travel to Amherst Sunday afternoon for a NESCAC matchup with playoff hosting implications, in addition to the normal anticipation of competing against Amherst.
1. Schidlovsky/Meyer (W) def Guzick/Cooper (V) 9-8 (7)
2. Micheli/Sun (W) def Jasso/Udine (V) 8-2
3. Chow/Astrachan (W) def Phelps/Kessler (V) 8-0
1. Meyer (W) def Gusic (V) 6-4, 6-3
2. Sun (W) def Jasso (V) 6-4, 6-3
3. Micheli (W) def Cooper (W) 6-1, 6-2
4. Z. Weiss (W) def Phelps (V) 6-4, 7-5
5. Chow (W) def Kessler (V) 6-2, 6-2
6. H. Weiss (W) def Udine (V) 6-0, 6-2