WILLIAMSTOWN-- The Williams men's tennis team picked up a tidy win on Thursday over NESCAC foe Bates. Bates came into the match having lost to Amherst 5-4, identical to Williams result against the Lord Jeffs.
With the win the Ephs improved to 12-3 on the year and 4-1 in NESCAC, while Bates now sports an overall record of 5-7 and the Bobcats are 2-3 in NESCAC.
Williams got off to a 3-0 lead after doubles play thanks to gutsy wins from the number one and two teams. Alex Schidlovsky and Trey Meyer won a tiebreak 9-7 to take their proset, and Matt Micheli and Felix Sun grabbed a 9-7 win at number two. Brian Chow and Bryan Astrachan took their proset 8-0 to round out the session.
Williams won a couple of close singles matches to extend their lead. Trey Meyer won his first set easily but lost control in the second. Meyer was able to battle back and take the third 6-2. Matt Micheli played a tight match at number three, winning his first, losing the second set in a tie breaker, and then winning the third 11-9 in a super tiebreak.
Felix Sun, Brian Chow, and Dylan Page all had an easier time of it, taking their matches in straight sets.
"We learned a lot fom the Amherst match, and it showed today," commented head coach Dan Greenberg. "Bates is a very tough team and we knew we had to step up in doubles and singles which we definitely did overall."
Williams continues a busy NESCAC weekend at Middlebury on Saturday and at home against Colby on Sunday.
1. Schidlovsky/Meyer (W) Crampton/Bettles (B) 9-8 (7)
2. Micheli/Sun (W) def Berg/Planche (B) 9-7
3. Chow/Astrachan (W) def Lee/Bogard (B) 8-0
1. Meyer (W) def Crampton (B) 6-1, 1-6, 6-2
2. Sun (W) def Bettles (B) 6-2, 6-1
3. Micheli (W) def Berg (B) 6-3, 6-7 (10), 11-9
4. Planche (B) def Z. Weiss (W) 6-3, 1-6, 7-5
5. Chow (W) def Lee 6-0, 6-1
6. Page (W) def Ruth (B) 6-0, 6-3