WILLIAMSTOWN, MA -- The Williams College men's tennis team outlasted a gritty Nichols College team, 5-1, in the second round of the Div. III NCAA Tournament Friday held at the Torrance M. Hunt Tennis Center.
Williams (19-3) advanced to the third round and will face Skidmore (13-8), which knocked off MIT, 5-3. The two teams will meet tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. Nichols had its season-high nine-match win streak snapped and its brilliant season end at 19-6 overall.
"It was a good way for us to begin the tournament," Williams' head coach Dan Greenberg said. "Nichols is a very good team, especially at the top of the line-up, and they are tough competitors throughout."
The Ephs jumped out to a 2-1 lead after doubles play as their third team of Bryan Chow and Brian Astraschan roilled to an 8-2 victory over the Bisons' Carlos De La Cruz and Josh Halpern. Shortly thereafter the second doubles team of Matt Micheli and Felix Sun completed an 8-3 victory over David Drucker and Justin DeLuca. Nichols' one doubles duo of Brandon Roode and Eduardo Irizarry brought the Bison back into it with an 8-4 victory over Trey Meyer and Alex Schidlovsky.
There were several good matches in singles play, but the Ephs' depth paid off as they posted rather decisive victories at four, five and six singles to end the match at 5-1.
Howie Weiss was the first Eph off the courts with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Halpern at six singles. Chow followed him closely with a 6-0, 6-1 victory over De La Cruz at five and Zach Weiss ended the match by defeating Drucker at four singles, 6-2, 6-2.
May 10, 2013 at
Williams College 5, Nichols 1
1. Trey Meyer (WILM) vs. Justin DeLuca (NC) 3-6, 0-1, unfinished
2. Matt Micheli (WILM) vs. Brandon Roode (NC) 6-2, 0-6, 1-0, unfinished
3. Felix Sun (WILM) vs. Eduardo Irizarry (NC) 6-3, 4-1, unfinished
4. Zach Weiss (WILM) def. David Drucker (NC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Bryan Chow (WILM) def. Carlos De La Cruz (NC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Howie Weiss (WILM) def. Josh Halpern (NC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Brandon Roode/Eduardo Irizarry (NC) def. Alex Schidlovsky/Trey Meyer (WILM) 8-4
2. Matt Micheli/Felix Sun (WILM) def. David Drucker/Justin DeLuca (NC) 8-3
3. Bryan Chow/Brian Astraschan (WILM) def. Carlos De La Cruz/Josh Halpern (NC) 8-2
Williams College 19-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (,6,5,4)