KALAMAZOO, MI. — The Williams College men's tennis team swept the doubles and picked up singles wins from Felix Sun and Matt Micheli Monday en route to a 5-1 victory over Trinity (Tx.) College in the NCAA Div. III Tournament quarterfinals played at the Sorenson Courts on the campus of Western Michigan University.
Williams (21-3) advances to the national semifinals, where it will face Wasington-St. Louis (20-5) Tuesday at 4 p.m.
Micheli and Sun were instrumental in the win over Trinity, as the doubles partners were able to put the first team point up on the scoreboard with an 8-4 win over Nicholas Moreno and Aaron Skinner at second doubles. Ephs Brian Astraschan and Bryan Chow made it 2-0 when they defeated Connor Dunn and Greg Haugen, 8-5, at three doubles and Trey Meyer and Alex Schidlovsky were able to complete the sweep at first dubs with an 8-4 win over Erick DelaFuente and Jordan Mayer.
All six singles matches ended up competive, but Williams picked up first set wins by Sun (6-0) at three singles, Micheli (6-3) at two singles, Meyer (6-4) at one singles and Howie Weiss, who won the final three games of his first set to post a 6-4 win over Charlie Curits at six.
Sun jumped out to a 3-0 lead in set two over Haugen, but Trinity's number three took three of the next four games and trailed 4-3 before Sun finished him off for the 6-0, 6-4 win and a 4-0 team lead.
Micheli lost his second set to Moreno at two, 6-3, but bounced back to take the first game of the third set. They two battled back and forth and eventually found themselves tied 6-6 before Micheli put his opponent away in the tiebreaker, ending the match in the process.
Trinity's lone team point came ayt four singles, where DelaFuente knocked off the Ephs Zach Weiss, 6-4, 6-2.
When played was called, Meyer had a 6-4, 5-4 lead over Skinner at one singles. Chow was embroiled in a battle at five with Mayer. After dropping the first set, he took the second set 7-6 but trailed in the third, 3-2. At six, Howie Weiss dropped the second set 6-3 after winning the first, and trailed 5-4 in the third when play was halted.
Williams College vs Trinity University
May 20, 2013 at Kalamazoo, Mich.
Williams College 5, Trinity University 1
1. Aaron Skinner (TUM) vs. Trey Meyer (WILM) 4-6, 4-5, unfinished
2. Matt Micheli (WILM) def. Nicolas Moreno (TUM) 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Felix Sun (WILM) def. Greg Haugen (TUM) 6-0, 6-4
4. Erick DelaFuente (TUM) def. Zach Weiss (WILM) 6-4, 6-2
5. Jordan Mayer (TUM) vs. Bryan Chow (WILM) 6-3, 6-7 (1-7), 3-2, unfinished
6. Charlie Curtis (TUM) vs. Howie Weiss (WILM) 4-6, 6-3, 5-4, unfinished
1. Trey Meyer/Alex Schidlovsky (WILM) def. Erick DelaFuente/Jordan Mayer (TUM) 8-4
2. Matt Micheli/Felix Sun (WILM) def. Nicolas Moreno/Aaron Skinner (TUM) 8-4
3. Brian Astraschan/Bryan Chow (WILM) def. Connor Dunn/Greg Haugen (TUM) 8-5