WILLIAMSTOWN-- The Williams men's tennis team started off their 2013 season with a 7-2 win over Wesleyan University.
Williams led 3-0 after doubles play. First year Rohan Shastri and Jose Raventos teamed up for an 8-1 win at number three. Senior Matt Micheli joined Conrad Herron for a 8-5 win at number one, and sophomores Brian Astrachan and Alex Schidlovsky won 8-5 at number two.
Conrad Harron and Howie Weiss were impressive in singles play. Weiss won his match at number two 6-0, 6-1, and Harron won 6-1, 6-1 at number three. Alex Schidlovsky won his first set in a tiebreak, and his second 6-4.
Eph number one singles player Matt Michel lost 6-3, 6-4 and frst year Rohan Shastri lost his first match after battling back from down one set, but falling 10-6 in the deciding super tie-break.
"I thought this was a great first match for us," commented head coach Dan Greenberg. "Wesleyan really pushed our guys but we were able to stay tough for some close sets."
The Ephs will travel to the ITA Regional Championships at Middlebury next weekend.
1. Harron/Micheli (Wil) def Monk/Hicks (Wes) 8-5
2. Schidlovsky/Astrachan (Wil) def Brint/Lyon 8-5
3. Raventos/Shastri (Wil) def King/Rudovsky (Wes) 8-1
1. Roberts (Wes) def Micheli (Wil) 6-3, 6-4
2. Weiss (Wil) def Monk (Wes) 6-0, 6-1
3. King (Wes) def Shastri (Wil) 6-1, 7-5, 10-6
4. Harron (Wil) def Rudovsky (Wes) 6-1, 6-1
5. Astrachan (Wil) def Lin (Wes) 6-4, 6-0
6. Schidlovsky (Wil) def Lyon (Wes) 7-6 (5), 6-4