WILLIAMSTOWN, MA — For the second day in-a-row, the Williams College men's tennis team failed to drop a set, as they defeated NESCAC opponent Hamilton 9-0 at home on Sunday. With the win, the Ephs go to 10-3 on the year and 3-1 in the NESCAC, and the Continentals fall to 7-8 on the year and 0-5 in the NESCAC.
The Ephs rolled to an early 3-0 lead in the match by the end of the doubles portion through some all-around solid doubles play, taking all three courts with relative ease. At one-doubles, the Eph combination of senior Matt Micheli and sophomore Alexander Schidlovsky upended Continental sophomore Ian Antonoff and freshman Devin White 8-2. Sophomore Jose Raventos and freshman Rohan Shastri returned the same scoreline at three-doubles, as they snatched an easy win over senior Ben Swett and freshman Jonathan Cohen. To polish off the doubles portion, the Eph sophomore pairing of Brian Astrachan and Howard Weiss dismissed sophomore Austin Lorke and freshman Max McKee-Procter at the number two position 8-3.
In singles, the Ephs put in an equally strong performance, as they cruised to straight-set victories on all six courts. Just as he did on Saturday, Raventos failed to drop a single game at four-singles en route to a 6-0-, 6-0 victory over Continental freshman Jack Vissicchio. Micheli also registered another solid performance at one-singles to record a 6-0, 6-1 win over Swett. It was more of the same from Schidlovsky at the number three position as he only lost two games on his way to defeating Cohen 6-1, 6-1, before Astrachan and Eph senior Adam Reich recorded 6-0, 6-2 victories at five- and six-singles respectively. At two-singles, Antonoff lost the first set to Weiss 6-0; however, he made a valiant effort to hang with Weiss in the second set, falling by only a single break 6-3.
After the match, Eph head coach Dan Greenberg was very pleased with his team's focus during the entire match: "I thought we focused really well today, and we're looking forward towards another busy week with several big NESCAC matches."
The Ephs' next match is at home against Bates on Thursday afternoon. The match is scheduled to begin at 4 PM EDT.
Williams 9, Hamilton 0
- Micheli, Matt (WILLIAMS) def. Swett, Ben (HAMILTON) 6-0, 6-1
- Weiss, Howard (WILLIAMS) def. Antonoff, Ian (HAMILTON) 6-0, 6-3
- Schidlovsky, Alexander (WILLIAMS) def. Cohen, Jonathan (HAMILTON) 6-1, 6-1
- Raventos, Jose (WILLIAMS) def. Vissicchio, Jack (HAMILTON) 6-0, 6-0
- Astrachan, Brian (WILLIAMS) def. McKee-Procter, Max (HAMILTON) 6-2, 6-0
- Reich, Adam (WILLIAMS) def. Paxton, Burke (HAMILTON) 6-2, 6-0
- Micheli, Matt/Schidlovsky, Alexander (WILLIAMS) def. Antonoff, Ian/White, Devin (HAMILTON) 8-2
- Astrachan, Brian/Weiss, Howard (WILLIAMS) def. McKee-Procter, Max/Lorke, Austin (HAMILTON) 8-3
- Raventos, Jose/Shastri, Rohan (WILLIAMS) def. Cohen, Jonathan/Swett, Ben (HAMILTON) 8-2
Williams 10-3 (NESCAC 3-1), nationally ranked #5
Hamilton 7-8 (NESCAC 0-5)