Ephs fall in NESCAC semifinals to Jeffs 5-1
BRUNSWICK, ME — The dream of a repeat NESCAC Championship ended Saturday afternoon in the semifinals for the Ephs, as they were defeated by the Lord Jeffs of Amherst College by the margin of 5-1. With the win, the Jeffs reach the 30-win milestone for their season, putting their record at 30-3, while the Ephs drop to 15-6.
Everything went the way of the Jeffs in doubles, as they managed to sweep the points on all three courts. The Jeff senior duo of Joey Fritz and Justin Reindel fended off a late surge by Eph senior Matt Micheli and freshman Conrad Harron at one-doubles to take their match 8-6, and the same score was repeated on the other two courts, as the Jeff sophomore combination of Andrew Yaraghi and Aaron Revzin saw off Eph freshman Rohan Shastri and sophomore Jose Raventos at two-doubles and the Jeff pairing of senior Chris Dale and sophomore Michael Solimano did the same on Court 3 to the Eph sophomore combo of Brian Astrachan and Alexander Schidlovsky.
The Ephs stared down the daunting 3-0 deficit, but weren't entirely undone by it. Raventos came out firing on all cylinders at six-singles, as he quickly got the Ephs on the scoreboard by cruising past Jeff sophomore Ben Fife 6-1, 6-0.
That would be all the Ephs would get out of the match, however, as the Jeffs stepped up their game and closed out the match. First, it was Reindel at the number five position, who dismissed Eph sophomore Howard Weiss 6-1, 6-1, and to finish off the match, it was freshman Anton Zykov, who allowed Shastri little opportunity for a comeback at three-singles, clinching the match for the Jeffs with a 6-4, 6-2 win.
After the match, Eph head coach Dan Greenberg commented on his team's lack of sharpness: "We just made too many errors, especially at the start and end of doubles. It felt like we gave the match away."
The Ephs now await the draw for the NCAA tournament.
Amherst 5, Williams 1
- Joey Fritz (AMHERST) vs. Matt Micheli (WILLIAMS) 7-5, 5-2, DNF
- Michael Solimano (AMHERST) vs. Conrad Harron (WILLIAMS) 5-7, 6-4 DNF
- Anton Zykov (AMHERST) def. Rohan Shastri (WILLIAMS) 6-4, 6-2
- Andrew Yaraghi (AMHERST) vs. Alexander Schidlovsky (WILLIAMS) 3-6, 6-2, 0-1 DNF
- Justin Reindel (AMHERST) def. Howard Weiss (WILLIAMS) 6-1, 6-1
- Jose Raventos (WILLIAMS) def. Ben Fife (AMHERST) 6-1, 6-0
- Joey Fritz/Justin Reindel (AMHERST) def. Matt Micheli/Conrad Harron (WILLIAMS) 8-6
- Andrew Yaraghi/Aaron Revzin (AMHERST) def. Rohan Shastri/Jose Raventos (WILLIAMS) 8-6
- Michael Solimano/Chris Dale (AMHERST) def. Alexander Schidlovsky/Brian Astrachan (WILLIAMS) 8-6
Williams 15-6, nationally ranked #11
Amherst 30-3, nationally ranked #4