Women's Tennis Tops Carnegie Mellon
PITTSBURGH-- The #1 ranked Williams Women's Tennis team earned a hard-fought win on Monday, taking down a talented Carnegie Mellon team. The match took over six hours to complete.
The Ephs fell behind 2-0 in doubles play, as Caroline Capute and Kathleen Elkins and Rebecca Curran and Nancy Worley were narrowly edged 8-6 and 9-8 (1) respectively. Taylor French and Kara Shoemaker were able to get Williams on the board going into singles play, with a close 8-6 win.
Maria Pylypiv, filling in for senior captain Kristin Alotta who missed the match due to an acadmeic committment, was the first off court during singles play for the second day in a row to even the match at 2-2.
Kathleen Elkins and Caroline Capute each led from the beginning, but needed a long time to take down their opponents.
Kara Shoemaker and Rebecca Curran had closer matches. Shoemaker won her first set 7-5, but then dropped the second 0-6. She recovered nicely, however, taking the third and deciding set 6-2. Knotted at one set apiece, Curran and her opponent held serve for the entire set, until Curran broke her at 6-5 to win the match.
"I thought our composure on the big points was excellent today. In a 6-hour match our fitness really shined as well. I think it's clear that this team is extremely fit for this early in the season," said head coach Alison Swain.
Williams takes on #3 Washington and Lee on Wedesday in Virginia, where they will be rejoined by Alotta.
1. French/Shoemaker (W) def Chen/Chin (CMU) 8-6
2. Rashke/Motin (CMU) def Capute/Elkins (W) 8-6
3. Cecil/Pratt (CMU) def Curran/Worley (W) 9-8 (1)
1. Shoemaker (W) def Chen (CMU) 7-5, 0-6, 6-2
2. Cecil (CMU) def Worley (W) 6-1, 5-7
3. Curran (W) def Motin (CMU) 7-6 (7-2), 2-6, 7-5
4. Elkins (W) def Chin (CMU) 6-0, 6-3
5. Capute (W) def Pratt (CMU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Pylypiv (W) def Tam (CMU) 6-1, 6-3