Women's Tennis Squeaks Past Emory
LEXINGTON, VA-- The Williams Women's Tennis team squeaked past perennial power house Emory University. The win keeps the Ephs undefeated this spring.
As has become the custom with the Williams Women, singles play was a different story. The Ephs dominated at numbers 3-6 to earn the four wins they needed. Kathleen Elkins was first off court at number 5 with a 6-1, 6-0 win. Nancy Worley was not far behind at number 3 to give the Ephs a 3-2 lead. Caroline Capute gave the Ephs a third straight set victory, and Rebecca Curran finished the job with a 6-4, 7-5 nail-biter.
Kristin Alotta and Kara Shoemaker each had desperately close losses at numbers one and two. Alotta won her first set but would go on to lose the next two. Shoemaker lost her first set, but battled back to take the second in a tie-breaker, before losing the third.
"Emory is an experienced team with a lot of talent," commented head coach Alison Swain, "we did a nice job of capitalizing on early opportunities in singles today in order to take five of the first six sets. Today's win was a real team effort, every single play fought incredibly hard throughout the match."
Williams continues its busy spring break tomorrow when they face off against Johns Hopkins tomorrow.
1. Clark, Gabrielle (EUW) def. Kristin Alotta (WLMS) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Wylie, Jordan (EUW) def. Kara Shoemaker (WLMS) 6-2, 6-7 (7-5), 6-2
3. Nancy Worley (WLMS) def. Dawson, Zahra (EUW) 6-1, 6-0
4. Rebecca Curran (WLMS) def. Padmanabhan, Malavik (EUW) 6-4, 7-5
5. Kathleen Elkins (WLMS) def. Brandt, Taylor (EUW) 6-1, 6-0
6. Caroline Capute (WLMS) def. Pinsky, Lauren (EUW) 6-4, 6-2
1. Clark, Gabrielle/Dawson, Zahra (EUW) def. Kara Shoemaker/Taylor French (WLMS) 8-5
2. Padmanabhan, Malavik/Kelly, Brenna (EUW) def. Kathleen Elkins/Kristin Alotta (WLMS) 9-7
3. Caroline Capute/Rebecca Curran (WLMS) def. Harris, Catharine/Pinsky, Lauren (EUW) 8-3