LEXINGTON, VA-- The Williams Women's tennis team finished off their Fab Five tournament at Washington and Lee with a 6-3 win over #10 Johns Hopkins. "I'm really proud of the team for our performance at the Fab 5 this yaer. We've played three of the top teams in D3 and come out on top," commented head coach Alison Swain.
Today's match started with two wins in doubles for the Ephs. Kathleen Elkns and Kristin Alotta earned a close 8-5 win at the number two posiiton, and the third pair of Caroline Capute and Rebecca Curran took their pro-set 8-3.
Singles play featured three matches that went to three sets. Of those, Caroline Capute earned the one of the two Williams wins at number six. Capute won her first set 7-5 but lost the second 6-2. She went on regain her form in the third to win 6-4. Rebecca Curran had the other, losing her first set but battling back to take the next two 6-4, 6-3.
Kathleen Elkins continued her torrid spring break with a 6-1, 6-1 win at the number five position. Alotta won her first set 6-3 and was leading 4-3 when her opponent was forced to retire due to cramping.
Said Swain, "today was a mental and physical battle after several long matches in the first week of our spring break trip."
The Ephs continue that trip Tuesday night when they take on Lynn College.
1. Krishman/Hogan (JHU) def Shoemaker/French (W) 9-7
2. Elkins/Alotta (W) def Clark/Herndon (JHU) 8-5
3. Capute/Curran (W) def Boger/Baik (JHU) 8-3
1. Alotta (W) def Baik (JHU) 6-3, 4-3 (ret)
2. Hogan (JHU) def Shoemaker (W) 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
3. Krishnan (JHU) def Worley (W) 6-4, 6-4
4. Curran (W) def Herndon (JHU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Elkins (W) def Clark (JHU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Capute (W) def Boger (JHU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-4