MEDFORD -- The #1 Williams women's tennis team remained unbeaten in NESCAC play after an 8-1 road victory over #12 Tufts. Williams now sits at 15-1, 5-0 in conference, while Tufts falls to 7-7, 3-2 in conference.
The women got off to a scalding start in doubles play behind an 8-0 win from the number two team of Kristin Alotta and Kathleen Elkins. Taylor French and Kara Shoemaker at number one, along with Caroline Capute and Nancy Worley at number three, turned in dueling 8-4 wins to give Williams a 3-0 lead heading into singles.
The momentum carried the Ephs to five of six singles victories. Kristin Alotta, Kara Shoemaker, Rebecca Curran, and Caroline Capute each turned in straight set victories. Kathleen Elkins had to work harder for her win, as she was pushed to three sets by her opponent. After taking the first set 6-0, Elkins dropped the second 5-7, only to come back and take her super tiebreak 10-6.
"Doubles was a highlight today, we really came out strong and focused," commented head coach Alison Swain after the match.
Williams will take on the University of Rochester in an out of conference match tomorrow morning (10:00) at home.
1. French/Shoemaker (W) def Katz/Bowman (T) 8-4
2. Elkins/Alotta (W) def Gann/Lam (T) 8-0
3. Capute/Worley (W) def Schonfeld/Kimmel (T) 8-4
1. Alotta (W) def Katz (T) 6-3, 6-1
2. Shoemaker (W) def Schonfeld (T) 6-0, 6-3
3. Bowman (T) def Worley (W) 7-5, 6-1
4. Elkins (W) def Gann (T) 6-0, 5-7, 10-6
5. Curran (W) def Kimmel (T) 6-1, 6-3
6. Capute (W) def Lam (T) 6-3, 6-4