Women's Tennis Falls in NESCAC FInal
WILLIAMSTOWN-- Amherst College captured the 2012 NESCAC championship on Sunday with a 5-2 win over host Williams. The win avenges Amherst's loss in last year's title match at the hands of the Ephs.
Amherst held a 2-1 lead after doubles play behind strong performances from their number one and three positions. Williams' Kathleen Elkins and Kristin Alotta were first off with an 8-2 win, but Caroline Richman and Safi Aly were quick to even the match with an 8-5 win at number three. Laura Danzig and Gabby Devlin gave Amherst a critical second point from doubles with an 8-5 win over Kara Shoemaker and Taylor French.
Kathleen Elkins evened the score a 2-2 with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Zoe Pangalos, but it was all Amherst after that. The Lord Jeff's won five of six first sets, and despite valiant efforts from Kristin Alotta at number one, and Kara Shoemaker at number two, couldn't come back. Alotta and Shoemaker each forced a third set. Shoemaker lost hers at the hands of Jennifer Newman, and Alotta was trailing when the match ended.
Caroline Richman and Gabby Devlin earned straight set victories to give Amherst their final two points. Richman beat Nancy Worley at number three, 6-2, 6-3, and Gabby Devlin took down Rebecca Curran 6-4, 6-1.
Both teams are expected to vie for a National Championship in the coming weeks. Williams has won the last four championships, beating Amherst in last year's final.
1. Danzig/Devlin (A) def Shoemaker/French (W) 8-5
2. Alotta/Elkins (W) def Newman/Pangalos (A) 8-2
3. Richman/Aly (A) def Worley/Capute (W) 8-5
1. Danzig (A) led Alotta (W) 6-2, 3-6, 5-2 (unfinished)
2. Newman (A) def Shoemaker (W) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
3. Richman (A) def Worley (W) 6-3, 6-3
4. Elkins (W) def Pangalos (A) 6-1, 6-3
5. Devlin (A) def Curran (W) 6-4, 6-1
6. Aly (A) led Capute (W) 7-6, 4-3 (unfinished)