Men's Crew Takes Second to Hobart

Men's Crew Takes Second to Hobart

Williams raced in 1V, 2V, and 1F lineups against 1V, 2V, and 3V lineups from Hobart. The weather was unseasonably cold and there was a stiff tailwind that changed into a swirling crosswind in the middle of the course. The conditions changed throughout the day, as the wind let up and the air started to warm. Starts were done without stake boats and done in a quick start format.

First out for the Ephs, was the first freshman boat. The freshmen went up against a tough and speedy crew from Hobart. Getting off to a solid start, the boat eventually crossed the line short of the Herons. The result was still promising, however, as the young Eph crew showed improvements in technique and stayed with a more experienced boat. 

The next out was the second varsity boat. The boat hit a snag early in the race, which put them permanently behind, however, the boat did not give up. The 2V maintained a strong pace and held onto the Hobart boat through the finish line.

The first varsity boat was the final men's boat to race. Putting up the toughest fight of the day, the top boat got off to a very quick start, taking half a length by the 300m marks. The Ephs expanded that lead to nearly a length by the 1000m mark. Unfortunately, the boat was unable to hold off a strong push by Hobart that put them up in the second half of the race. Hobart slowly pulled away from the Ephs to cross the line about 3 seconds ahead. 

Due to unrowable conditions at home the Ephs have relocated to an alternative site, however, the set up of this site, plus dangerous conditions early this week, severely limited on-the-water time. The Ephs hope to put in extra miles going forward as the young crew has to gain boat experience across the board.

The Ephs will return to practice in anticipation of next weekends race, which is away at Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, MA. Williams will be lining up against the University of Rochester, WPI, and MIT on April 13, 2013.