Men's Crew Races Bates, Tufts, Holy Cross

Photo by Harrison Toll '22
Photo by Harrison Toll '22

1V: c-Alison Robey 8-Jarrett Heflin 7-Ian Pultz-Earle 6-Daniel Queen 5-Drew West 4-Niko John 3-Nick Beischer 2-Phillip Chalmers 1-Jack Ellrodt
2V: c-Piper Higgins 8-Sam Armstrong 7-Matthew Schleifman 6-Cameron Edgar 5-Riley Will 4-Adam Zoen 3-Isaac Wilkins 2-Peter Fousek 1-Peter Hollander
3V: c-Katie Friedman 8-Osamah Qatanani 7-Adam Bocker 6-Charlie Ide 5-Will Foote 4-Oscar Tubke-Davidson 3-Bernal Cortés2-John Lautenbach 1-Max Chayet


Worcester, MA — Williams brought their top three boats to Worcester Saturday for their last tune up before the New England Championship next week. Williams lined up against NESCAC rivals Bates and Tufts along with the hometown Holy Cross.

Conditions were challenging with a moderate cross tail wind peppered with strong gusts blowing from starboard.

In the 1V race Williams jumped up on Bates and fell slightly behind Tufts off the start. The Ephs fought gusts through the first 1000 and worked their way back on the Jumbos as Bates followed closely behind. In the third quarter of the race Bates made their move on Williams and pulled ahead, but all three crews remained in tight contact. Bates and Tufts moved away on the sprint and Williams had no answer. The final times were Holy Cross 6:15, Bates 6:19, Tufts 6:21, Williams 6:23.

According to coxswain Alison Robey '20, "we've done a great job getting our start up to speed, now we just need to figure out how to carry our fastest base strokes into the race."

In the 2V race Williams had a solid start that left them close with Holy Cross, even with Bates and well ahead of Tufts. Through the first 1000 Williams traded seats with Bates while Holy Cross stretched out their lead. During the middle move a gust of wind knocked the crew out of their rhythm and Bates was able to pull ahead. Williams rediscovered a strong rhythm for their final sprint but it was not enough to reel in Bates. The final times were Holy Cross 6:19, Bates 6:23, Williams 6:29, Tufts 6:49.

Two seat Peter Fousek '21 said that the race was "definitely the fastest we've been off the start. We had a really solid first half and have room to improve our preparation for the third quarter for next week."

The 3V concluded the day with a rematch against the Tufts crew who dealt them their only loss of the season. Williams had their best start of the season which put them up on the entire field through 500 meters. In the next 750 meters Williams continued to build their lead, breaking open water on Bates and Holy Cross and going bow to stern with Tufts. The Ephs looked ready to walk away with the race when a stiff gust rocked the course and a Williams oarsmen caught an over the head crab bringing the boat to a near halt. Showing great resilience, Williams quickly recovered and got back to speed with a slight lead over Tufts. Coming into the final 500 meters the Jumbos pulled within a seat and were threatening to pull ahead, but Williams refused to be beat. In the final 500 Williams found a new gear and pulled a full length ahead of Tufts for the win. The final times were Williams 6:38, Tufts 6:42, Holy Cross 6:49, Bates 6:53.

Three seat Bernal Cortés '22 thought his boat responded to adversity with a lot of fight: "We recovered very quickly, did not let the wind rattle us, and found some great connection to set up the final sprint." Regarding the gust that almost brought the boat to a halt, two seat John Lautenbach '21 added that "that gust just hit different."

Williams will be back in Worcester to vie for medals at the New England Championships next weekend.