Ephs Defeat Connecticut College 2-1

Ephs Defeat Connecticut College 2-1

WILLIAMSTOWN, MA -- In the first home match of the season, senior David Jarrett scored the game winning goal in the third period allowing the Ephs (2-0-1)  to take a 2-1 win over the Connecticut College Camels (1-2-0).

Two goals were scored in the first period, one for each team. Greg Liautaud first scored for the Camels, and C.J. Shugart for the Ephs responded shortly thereafter. No further goals came until Jarrett's in the third, allowing for the game to finish in the Ephs' favor. 

The Ephs had a slight change in their lineup coming into the match, as sophomore Sam Gray, a natural forward, helped out in the defensive end due to injuries sidelining defensemen sophomore Frankie Mork and junior Zander Masucci. In the defensive end, Ephs goaltender senior Sean Dougherty kept control of his zone, limiting opportunities.

The first period of play was largely defined by back and forth play. Early on the Ephs commanded control of the puck, with the first main opportunity coming at 6:38 when sophomore George Hunkele toe-dragged around the Camel defenseman and shot the puck to the net, with Connecticut College goaltender Tom Conlin allowing a rebound but eventually getting hold of the puck. 

Williams had another great opportunity about half way into the period, with a two-on-one opportunity created by freshman Dan Doherty and senior Craig Kitto. Kitto passed it across to Doherty, who fired one from the left side, but Conlin made a stick save on the play. 

The tides turned for the Ephs at 15:39, when Connecticut College went on the board first after a quick turn around after sophomore Luke Stickel went down on the play. Greg Liautaud for the Camels beat Dougherty high on the glove side on the odd man rush, and the Camels went up 1-0 on their fourth shot of the game late into the first period. Ryan Mowery and Brian Belisle were awarded assists on the play. 

The Ephs were given the chance to respond when a penalty was called against Camel Zach Shapiro for boarding Ephs' freshman Colby Cretella with :32 seconds left to play in the first. With just five seconds to play in the period, freshman C.J. Shugart capitalized on the rebound from a pass across the middle by senior David Jarrett. Kitto also was awarded an assist on the play. Shugart, with his third goal of the season, made the game 1-1 at 19:55 of the first. 

The Ephs dominated offensive play in the first, with the shot count being in their favor 16-4. 
The second period was very even in terms of possession, with neither team able to convert on any opportunities. At 2:57, Luke Stickel went to the box for tripping, giving the Camels their first opportunity with the man advantage. A shot from the point fired by Marc Roper for the Camels took advantage of a heavily screened goaltender Dougherty, but the shot deflected wide, and the Ephs effectively killed the power play due to several key shot blocks from the defensemen, despite strong puck movement from the Camels' special teams unit. 

At 8:06, penalties were taken by both sides, with George Hunkele going to the box for slashing for the Ephs, and Cory Swift going to the box for roughing for the Camels. The two players were tangled up in the neutral zone, and with the resulting penalties, play moved to 4-4 for the next two minutes. No real opportunities came for either team, however. 

The rest of the period was defined by strong defensive play on both sides, with no real opportunities given up by either team. With just a few minutes left in the second period, senior Alex DeBaere went for the wrap around on a play where it seemed as if goaltender Conlin was caught up, however he managed to keep sight of the puck and play was stopped. While Connecticut College had the slight advantage in possession during the second period, neither team displayed obvious dominance. The second period came out scoreless, with shots in Williams' favor during the second 8-7, and 24-11 overall, and the third period began with a score of 1-1. 

The third period proved to be decisive for the Ephs, with a goal late in the period from David Jarrett, making the game 2-1.  From the start of the third, Ephs' Sam Gray switched back to playing forward, despite having filling in on the defensive end for the first two-thirds of the game. Alex DeBaere left the ice late during the second due to an injury and did not return for the start of the third. 

At 8:52, a tripping penalty was called against Connecticut College's Joe Birmingham. The Ephs were unable to convert on their man advantage opportunity, however. 

Goaltender Conlin for the Camels made a stellar save shortly after the completion of their penalty kill, blocking a shot from Ephs' Gray after a shot from the outside deflected wide and Conlin had to get across the crease quickly, extending his leg to make the pad save, and prevent a goal. 
A penalty was next called against Adam Patel for the Camels after slashing Williams' Hunkele. Hunkele went on to fire a shot from high in the slot, but it deflected wide. Around a minute into the power play for the Ephs, Gray for Williams went to the box for tripping Mike Martinez, and 4-4 play for 1:06 resulted. 

During this 4-4 period, David Jarrett fired an off speed shot from the left side, off of a pass from Craig Kitto at 13:55, making the game 2-1 for Williams. This marked Kitto's second assist of the night.

The remainder of the game consisted of aggressive defensive play from the Ephs, as the Camels were unable to convert on their 6-5 man advantage (Conlin was pulled with :48 seconds remaining in the game). The final shot count was 37-17 in favor of the Ephs. 
Tonight was also senior night for the Ephs, honoring seniors Brian McNamara, Craig Kitto, Peter Mistretta, David Jarrett, Alex DeBaere, and Sean Dougherty. 

This 2-1 win from Williams now makes them 2-0-1, and Connecticut College now moves to 1-2-0.  The Camels will take on Middlebury College on Saturday at 4 p.m., and Williams will have their second home game of the season Saturday against Tufts at 3 p.m.