The Ephs trump the Trinity Bantams, 3-2

Alex Hagerty '17
Alex Hagerty '17


Williamstown, MA - The Williams College Ephs (7-3-1, 5-1-1 NESCAC) defeat Trinity College Bantams (7-3-1, 3-2-0 NESCAC). The Ephs scored three goals in three minutes in the second period to overtake the Bantams.

Trinity led the first period with a power play goal at 8:42 after Eph junior Luke Stickel was called for a tripping minor at 7:54. Trinity capitalized on the opportunity when freshman Mark Knowlton tipped in a wide shot from junior T.J. Sherman from the point.

The Ephs entered the second period with a one-goal and one-man deficit when freshman Roberto Cellini was called for a roughing minor at the completion of the first.

While the Ephs killed Cellini's penalty, they gave up another penalty goal after junior Luke Stickel was called for a tripping minor at 5:55. Trinity sophomore Bradley Buvinow picked up the rebound after senior Elie Vered and sophomore Griffyn Martin sent the puck towards Eph goaltender, freshman Michael Pinios.

The Ephs cut their two goal deficit in half at 11:16 when junior Alex Hagerty accepted a breakaway pass out of the defensive zone from sophomore Dan Doherty and scored his first goal of the season.

Shortly after the Ephs first goal, Trinity's junior Sean Orlando was called for a slashing minor at 12:42, giving the Ephs a chance to tie up the game. And the purple did just that, scoring a goal 23 seconds into the penalty at 13:06. Junior Sam Gray one timed a pass from senior Zander Masucci. The puck was tossed around before finally being stuffed in by sophomore C.J. Shugart.

The Williams goal streak continued when senior Zander Masucci scored from the blue line, assisted by sophomores David Italiano and C.J. Shugart, ten seconds into another Trinity penalty–two-minute minor for holding to sophomore Griffyn Martin at 14:03.

The Ephs scored three goals in three minutes, closing the gap, tying up the game, and taking the lead to enter the third period.

"We've been down by a goal before and I think the guys saw that one play can make the difference," head coach Bill Kangas said. "Hagerty's goal was a big lift for us and really energized the guys to convert the two power play goals of our own."

The third period was played evenly with both teams getting prime opportunities to score but no goals resulted. Tensions ran high when both teams sent men to the penalty box with less than two minutes to play. Trinity pulled their goaltender, sophomore Alex Morin, to give them the five on four advantage but could not tie up the game. The game ended with the Ephs winning 3-2.

The Ephs will return to acton at home tomorrow, Sunday, January 10 at 3:00 p.m., against Wesleyan University.

Ephs Shut Out By Hamilton 1-0
December 12, 2015 Ephs Shut Out By Hamilton 1-0