Ephs Collect 11-8 Win Over Colby

Evan DeDominicis '13
Evan DeDominicis '13

Waterville, ME -- Senior Evan Dedominicis was among several Ephs who contributed to today's win 11-8 over the Colby Mules, with a crucial hat trick. The two NESCAC teams remained even early, each with twenty attempted shots in the first half. Only 1:47 into the first half, Colby's Chip Grossman netted the first goal of the game off an assist from Greg McKillop. Eph Khari Dennis evened the score about a minute later with an unassisted goal of his own. The scoring proved evenly matched for the next several minutes.

Zander Masucci was called for a pushing penalty four minutes into the first quarter. Colby's Greg McKillop took advantage of the man-up opportunity, scoring to push Colby to a 2-1 lead. Steven Keisel scored the second goal for the Ephs with 1:11 remaining in the first quarter. The score was 2-2 at the beginning of the second quarter, both teams gunning for a lead. Two quick Colby goals inspired the Ephs' Peter Sullivan and Colton Growney to each contribute with a goal of their own.

Dedomincis's first goal, the fifth of the game, sparked a three-goal streak for the Ephs, allowing them to take a solid lead. Mericos Rhodes and Will Stewart both followed Dedominicis's lead with goals scored only twenty seconds apart. Clearly the momentum was with the Ephs. One more Colby goal, scored by Derek Youngman, closed out the scoring for the first half. Williams entered the second half up 7-6. With one extra goal under their belts, the Ephs knew that a more significant lead would be important.

The second half got off to a difficult start, as Colby's Eric Eberhart won the first face-off. Colby fired off two shots right away. The first, however, went wide and Williams' keeper Dan Whittam saved the second. Whittam successfully cleared the ball, and though a series of turnovers ensued, Williams eventually gained possession and netted another goal, scored by Dedominicis and assisted by Colton Growney.

Ryan Prokesch assisted Dedominicis's third goal with 8:05 left in the third quarter, shifting the lead to 9-6 in favor of the Ephs. The remainder of the third quarter included six failed shot attempts from Colby and two from Williams, until Colby's John Jennings finally netted his second goal of the game. Eph Steven Kiesel answered back with an unassisted goal with one second remaining in the third quarter, regaining the three-goal lead for Williams.

Freshman Conor Roddy scored in a man-up situation at the beginning of the fourth quarter, putting away the final goal for the Ephs. Colby's Chip Grossman scored his third goal for the day, on a two-man down situation, but it was not enough.

"It's great to get a win on the road all the way up in Waterville," said Eph head coach George McCormack. "Our last three our four trips up here haven't ended this well. This is a really big." Indeed it was a big win, contributing to a 5-5 record overall, 3-4 in the conference. "The Offense played really strong, and defense stiffened up in the second half," added McCormack.

Though Williams came out on top with an 11-8 victory, the teams appeared evenly matched in a number of ways. David Lee and Eric Eberhart each won eleven of the total twenty-two face-offs. Each team also had exactly twenty ground balls, proving that each one was, in fact, a 50/50 opportunity.

Williams proved a well-rounded team especially when it came to scoring. Each of the Ephs' seven first half goals was netted by a different player. The defense also proved consistent, forcing several missed shots for Colby. Whittam had yet another successful day with 17 saves, as compared to Colby keeper Tyler Will's 8. McCormack praised Whittam's consistency: "He's been outstanding in the last couple of games."