Williams Loses to Tufts 22-15

Conor Roddy '16
Conor Roddy '16

Williamstown, MA – Williams (5-4/2-3 NESCAC) lost 22-15 to the Tufts Jumbos (8-1/5-0 NESCAC), who are ranked third nationally in men's DIII lacrosse. Both teams' offenses were performing well as there were thirty-seven goals in the game.

Tufts closed each of the four quarters netting three of the final four goals of the quarter to hold off the upset minded Ephs.

In the first quarter, Tufts scored the first goal of the game on the first possession. Michael Fahey scored at 12:23 to even up the score for Williams. At 9:24 the Ephs took the lead with a goal from Jack Lauroesch, assisted by Tanner MacIvor.

Less than a minute later, Tufts was able to even up the score when Frank Hatter drove from the right wing and bounced one into the net. Less than a minute after that, Williams scored to go back ahead by one when Michael Fahey drew two defenders behind the net and then passed to an unguarded Peter Crane who rifled in a shot.

John Uppgren scored in transition for Tufts to even up the score again at 6:57. Then Tufts took the lead with a goal on isolation from behind the net with Ben Andreycak scoring at 5:55. Tufts tried to extend their lead on a shot from right in front of the crease, but Miles McCarthy made a great save for Williams and started a fast break that led to a goal for Thomas Fowler to tie the game again. With 58 seconds left in the quarter Tufts scored again on a fast break to take the lead going into the second quarter, 5-4, as Ben Andreycak tallied his second unassisted goal of the quarter.

In the second quarter both teams' offenses remained hot; Jake Gillespie for Tufts scored the first goal of the quarter with 11:12. Two minutes later, Gillespie assisted a goal to Zach Richman to go ahead by three. The Ephs scored the next two, with goals from Tanner MacIvor and Jack Lauroesch, to bring the lead down to one. However, in the final two minutes of the quarter, Tufts scored three goals to Williams' one goal to take a 10-7 lead going into the half time break.

The Ephs scored the first goal of the second half at 12:17, when Tanner MacIvor drew a double team behind the net and found an open Jack Lauroesch on the crease. The Jumbos answered at 11:07 with a laser shot by Garrett Clarke. The Ephs responded with another when Jack Lauroesch picked up a rebound on the crease and put it in the top of the net.

Then Ben Andreycak scored for Tufts, then Thomas Fowler scored for Williams, then Jake Gillespie scored for Tufts. Of the first six goals scored in the third quarter neither team had scored two consecutive goals. Then Jake Gillespie scored another for Tufts to push the Jumbos' lead to 14-10.

Tufts almost scored another at 3:00 when they had a one on one after a failed Williams clear, but Miles McCarthy made two great saves and got the ball back for the Ephs. Then, in transition, Thomas Fowler scored for the Ephs to bring the Tufts' lead back down to three goals, 14-11. With 1:52 John Uppgren scored for Tufts to bring the lead back to four, 15-11 at the end of three quarters.

Tufts won the first face-off of the final quarter, but Ryan Hamilton played ferocious defense to get the ball for the Ephs at 14:19. The following possession was a long one for Williams and it led to a goal for Michael Fahey at 12:22. Williams won the next face-off and Peter Crane passed to Tanner MacIvor for another goal to reduce the lead to two goals.

With 11:07, Tufts stopped the Williams run when Jake Gillespie drew two Williams defenders and found an Garrett Clarke for the goal. At 9:33, John Uppgren scored another for Tufts in transition. Williams matched it on the following play, Tanner MacIvor fired a shot but it hit the post and rolled to Greg Plumb on the top of the crease who picked it up and fired to bring the lead down to three.

Tufts scored the next two goals, with Jake Gillespie, and John Uppgren getting shots past McCarthy. Williams was able to get a goal back at 5:12 when Tanner MacIvor fired a pass to Bryson Gilbert-Bono for the score. Then it was another two-goal run for Tufts with goals from Jake Gillespie and John Uppgren again to push the lead to six goals. With 1:30 remaining Zach Richman converted off a feed from John Upgren to make the final 22-15 in favor of Tufts.

Williams was led by Jack Lauroesch led the Williams offense with four goals.

Tufts was led on offense by John Uppgren, and Jake Gillespie who each had six goals.

Williams' goalie Miles McCarthy played 60:00 and allowed twenty-two goals and had ten saves.

Tufts' goalie Alex Salazar played 60:00 and allowed fifteen goals and also had ten saves.

The next game for the Ephs is Saturday, April 9, when they will face Wesleyan at home at 1:00 p.m.

Ephs Fall 11-8 at Amherst
April 23, 2016 Ephs Fall 11-8 at Amherst
Ephs lose 15-9 at Bowdoin
March 12, 2016 Ephs lose 15-9 at Bowdoin