The Ephs Fall to Wesleyan 19-17

Ryan Hamilton '16
Ryan Hamilton '16

Williamstown, MA – Michael Fahey led the way for Williams (5-5/NESCAC 2-4) with seven goals and three assists but ti was not enough as the Ephs fell to  Wesleyan (7-3/NESCAC 3-3), 19-17.

In the first quarter Michael Fahey was hot for Williams, as he scored three goals. The first came at 11:14 after Peter Crane forced a turnover to start a fast break. The second was at 1:34 in the quarter, when he picked up the rebound after a shot by Bryson Gilbert-Bono and snuck it in the goal. Fahey's third goal was the most spectacular; after Jack Lauroesch fired a shot off the post with four seconds left in the quarter, Fahey got the ball and drove by his man to score with just .3 seconds left in the quarter to tie the score at 4-4.

In the second quarter Williams started with a two-goal run with goals from Jack Lauroesch, and Thomas Fowler. Wesleyan followed those goals up with a two-goal run of their own with goals from Harry Stanton and Carter Hawthorne.

The NESCAC and Little Three opponents traded goals for the next four goals. First Michael Fahey scored for Williams, then Niall Devaney scored for Wesleyan, then Fahey scored again for Williams on a fast break after Williams faceoff win, then Carter Hawthorne scored for Wesleyan after the Cardinals won a faceoff to start a fast break. In the remainder of the quarter, Wesleyan was able to take the lead, scoring three goals to Williams' one to take a 10-9 lead going into the second half.

In the second half, Wesleyan took control early, scoring the first goal of the third quarter. Wesleyan scored a second on a man-up opportunity after an unnecessary roughness call. However, while Williams was a man down, Peter Crane was able to get a goal back for Williams. Williams then went a man down again, and Wesleyan was able to score again at 11:05.

At 4:34 Williams had a big momentum changing play when Khary Dennis forced a turnover on a Wesleyan clear attempt and took the ball down on a fast break and passed to Michael Fahey for the score. Williams won the following faceoff and James McFarland scored another for the Ephs. They lost the following faceoff but defenseman Ryan Hamilton forced a turnover and cleared the ball himself, dodging through four Wesleyan defenders. The crowd was roaring with support for the Ephs. However, Harry Stanton was able to kill the Williams momentum at 1:16 with a goal for Wesleyan. To give the Cardinals a 15-13 lead that Wesleyan was able to carry into the fourth quarter.

From 11:22 to 9:43, four goals were scored and three of them were by Wesleyan to create a four-goal lead that the Ephs would have to fight back from for the rest of the quarter. It was Thomas Fowler who started the Ephs' fourth quarter charge. Michael Fahey fired a shot from the side of the net and missed wide, Fowler caught the shot right by the crease and just slipped the ball into the net. Williams then won the faceoff and Riley Hoffman scored another for the Ephs. Wesleyan won the next face off and Ben Shively scored for them to bring their lead back to three.

With 6:32, the Ephs' Ryan Hamilton got a 2-minute non-releasable penalty for targeting the head and the Ephs, down a man, needed to prevent the lead from growing. Despite a dangerous play, where the ball rolled across the crease uncontrolled twice, the Ephs were successful and looked to start working on decreasing the Wesleyan lead with 4:32 left.

Michael Fahey scored the first goal to start the comeback effort at 3:47. Wesleyan won the following faceoff and though they weren't able to score, they maintained possession until 1:32. Wesleyan then forced an Eph turnover on the clear attempt and got the ball back with a two-goal lead at 1:07. Wesleyan was able to maintain possession for the remainder of the game to win 19-17.

Williams was led by Michael Fahey, who had seven goals and three assists.

Wesleyan was led by Harry Stanton, who had five goals.

Williams' goalie Miles McCarthy played 60:00 and allowed nineteen goals and had fifteen saves.

Wesleyan's goalie Ted Bergman played 60:00 and allowed seventeen goals and had twelve saves.

Williams had a lot of success on faceoffs this game, as they won 25 of the games 39 face-offs. When asked about their faceoff success, Williams' head coach George McCormack said, "Coach O'Keefe has been working with the face-off guys a lot; Brian Bissell, and Max Fiend, and Angus O'Rourke. That's such a technical position and they've been putting a lot of time and effort in working on it."

The next game for the Ephs is April 12th, when they will face Hamilton at 6:00 P.M. at home.

Ephs Fall 11-8 at Amherst
April 23, 2016 Ephs Fall 11-8 at Amherst
Ephs lose 15-9 at Bowdoin
March 12, 2016 Ephs lose 15-9 at Bowdoin