RPI Defeats Williams

RPI Defeats Williams

Williamstown, MA- The Williams College Ephs (7-6/4-4 NESCAC) were defeated by the RPI Engineers (10-3) 11-9 in today's matchup on Farley/Lamb Field on the campus of Williams College. 

Creating the first turnover of the game, the Ephs took control of the first two minuets of the first quarter by a goal from freshman John Hinks. The Engineers soon answered back with a goal by senior captain Chaz Bell. With 6:28 left in the quarter, RPI found themselves another goal from Breanainn McNeally after a turnover from the Ephs. The Engineers found the net again with three minuets left in the first quarter with a goal by Brendan McNeally. The Ephs fired back in less than 20 seconds with a goal from freshman Kevin Stump. After a great dodge, Brendan Hoffman was able to score a goal with thirty seconds left. The score was tied 3-3 at the end of the first quarter. 

The Engineers didn't let this momentum be continued in the next quarter and soon found the ball in the back of the net by Zach Lukas assisted by Oliver Kaija. After another two minuets, RPI found themselves another goal by Breanainn McNeally. The Engineers scored another goal which gave them a three goal streak within the quarter from Owen Putman. Williams ended the streak at 8:14 by a goal from Duncan Cummings unassisted. Within the next two minuets, Brendan Hoffman soon scored an unassisted goal for the Ephs. This gave the Engineers the upper hand going into the second half with a score of  6-5. 

Williams came out of halftime with a bang, netting the first goal of the second half by Kevin Stump, his second of the game. The score was tied for the second time at 6-6. After two penalties called against Williams, RPI was able to score back-to-back goals by captain Breanainn McNeally and Owen Putman. Kevin Stump was able to score his from third goal of the game at 7:23 by an assist from Michael Fahey. RPI was quick to come back with a goal from Matthew Gilman unassisted. Michael Fahey found the goal within the last minute of the quarter which shortened the Engineer's lead to one goal. The score at the end of the third quarter was Williams 8 - RPI 9. 

The Engineers came out with a strong start to the final quarter of the game, leading to a goal by JT Kelly assisted by Zach Lukas. In less than a minute, Matthew Gilman found the goal again for RPI, giving them a three goal lead. The fourth quarter streak was broken for the Engineers by senior defenseman Riley Hoffman with a clear and score. For the next ten minuets, there were no goals scored by either team due to stellar defense by the two teams. This led up until the last second, giving the Engineers a 11-9 victory over the Ephs. 

 The Engineers were lead by Breanainn McNeally who had four goals followed by Matt Gillman and Owen Putman who both had two goals. The Ephs were led by Kevin Stump with three goals followed by Brendan Hoffman with two goals. 

The goalie for the Williams Ephs was George Peele playing all 60 minuets with 11 saves. The Engineers saw goalie David Gibbs play all 60 minuets with 14 saves. 

"It was a hard fought game against a very good RPI team, '' noted Eph head coach George McCormack. "Both teams battled to the very end". 

The Ephs return to action this coming Saturday home on Farley-Lamb Field for a matchup at 1pm against NESCAC and rival opponent Amherst. RPI will next play on Saturday also when they go to Canton, NY to play St. Lawrence at 1pm.

Amherst Tops Williams
April 22, 2017 Amherst Tops Williams
RPI Defeats Williams
April 18, 2017 RPI Defeats Williams
Williams 16 - Colby 10
April 15, 2017 Williams 16 - Colby 10