Amherst Tops Williams

Amherst Tops Williams

Williamstown, Mass– The Williams College Ephs (7-7/4-5 NESCAC) were defeated by the Amherst College Mammoths (11-3/7-2 NESCAC) 10-13 in today's matchup on Farley/Lamb field on the campus of Williams College. 

Winning the first face-off of the game, Amherst took control by netting the first two goals, both from Evan Wolf with assists by Max Keeley and Jackson Herrick. Williams soon answered back with a goal by Michael Fahey to end Amherst's starting momentum. With six seconds left in the first quarter, Evan Wolf found himself with his third goal of the game. The score at the end of the first was Williams 1 - Amherst 3. 

The Mammoths hit the ground running once again in the second quarter by making the first goal of the quarter by Max Keeley. Less that thirty seconds later, Thomas Fowler found himself in the open field and passed the ball to Kevin Stump who dunked and scored, shortening Amherst's lead by two goals. The Mammoths let this be short lived and with twelve minutes left, Chris Albanese scored. Amherst shot and scored another goal from Evan Wolf, making it his fourth of the game. Williams quickly matched this with a goal unassisted by Michael Fahey. Amherst answered back with less than a minute with a goal from midfielder Brett Inglesby. With under three minutes left in the first half, Kevin Stump scored for the Ephs off of a great shot. At halftime, Amherst was up 7-4. 

Amherst came out with a bang after halftime, winning the first face off and netting the first goal of the second half by Colin Minicus. With a successful clear by the defense, Devlin Nelligan created the opportunity to get a great shot off, translating to a score for the Ephs. Two minutes later, senior Duncan Cummings scored for Williams, shortening the goal deficit to two goals. Amherst quickly matched this goal from a score by Colin Minicus once again. With seven minuets left in the quarter, Amherst found the back of the net once again by Colin Minicus. Both teams played amazing defense in the last six minuets of the game and going into the final quarter, the Ephs were down 6-9. 

Two minutes into the fourth quarter, Amherst scored off of a great clear from Brogan Mahon. Williams came back with an amazing goal from Thomas Fowler assisted by Kevin Stump. Brendan Hoffman scored within the next thirty seconds to once make it a two goal game. The Mammoths soon came back with a goal from Brett Inglesby moments later to give Amherst back the three goal lead. Amherst scored another goal with 5:45 left in the quarter from freshman Jackson Herrick. Kevin Stump was able to score again off an assist by Ben Fox and with 1:52 left in the game, Williams found the net again with a goal from Michael Fahey. With 23 seconds left in the game, Chris Albanese for Amherst was able to score on an open goal, making the final score Amherst 13 and Williams 10. 

Amherst was led by Evan Wolf, with an amazing four goals, followed by Colin Minicus, Brett Inglesby and Chris Albanese each with two goals. The Ephs were led by Kevin Stump and Michael Fahey who both had two goals. 

Eph goalie George Peele played the entire game and made 12 saves. The Mammouths also used one goalie this game, Cody Tranbarger, with 10 saves. 

Eph head coach George McCormack stated, "I thought we had a sluggish start but played a very competitive 2nd half". 

The Ephs return to action this coming Wednesday at Williams for their last regular season NESCAC matchup against Middlebury at 6pm. The Amherst Mammoths will next play at Trinity on Wednesday also for a NESCAC match at 6pm.

Amherst Tops Williams
April 22, 2017 Amherst Tops Williams
RPI Defeats Williams
April 18, 2017 RPI Defeats Williams
Williams 16 - Colby 10
April 15, 2017 Williams 16 - Colby 10