Union Defeats Williams

Alex Kitt '21
Alex Kitt '21

Schenectady, New York– The Williams College Ephs (0-2/0-1 NESCAC) were defeated by the Union College Dutchmen (3-0) 9-8 in today's match-up on Frank Bailey Field on the campus of Union College. 

Tied 8-8 with the end of the regulation game time finished, overtime began and after three minutes of stellar defense from both the Dutchmen and the Ephs, sophomore midfielder Charlie McGovern for Union was able to break the stalemate and bring home the big win.

The first two minutes of the ball game had hard-fought defense from both teams until Kerry Lyne for the Dutchmen netted a goal. At 10:33 off of a fast break, Union scored their second unanswered goal by Keaton McCann. Shortly after, Williams was able to counter Union's goals with two scores from freshman midfielder Jared Straus, tying up the score 2-2 at 4:07. After a Union timeout, a penalty was called on Williams and they would be man down for the rest of the 1st quarter. The Dutchmen were able to capitalize on this opportunity and netted a score from Kerry Lyne, his second goal of the quarter. Union was up 3-2.

After five minutes of hard pressed man-to-man defense on both sides, Kevin Stump found a chink in the Dutchmen's defense and netted a goal for the Ephs, tying up the score 3-3. The Dutchmen soon answered back with a crease-cranker by Kerry Lyne at 4:40. Less than a minute later, Union found another two opportunities to score before the end of the half with back to back goals by John Edmonds and Kerry Lyne. With 23 seconds left in the quarter, Williams called a timeout after a ground ball but was unable to score. At the end of the half, Union was up 6-3.

Coming out of halftime, Williams was able to capture the momentum and off of an amazing clear, sophomore LSM Rock Stewart shot and scored for Ephs, making it just a two-point game. Six minutes later, Williams earned another hard-fought goal after senior Captain James McFarland dove and netted a goal in mid-air for the Ephs. The Dutchmen soon countered this with a goal from Kerry Lyne, his fourth of the night. Off of a solo clear, defenseman Cameron Brown ran down the field towards the goal and scored for Williams. At 2:29 left in the 3rd quarter, James McFarland let it rip for the tying goal. The score at the end of the third quarter was tied.

Williams came into the final quarter with a tenacious attitude and at 10:39 sophomore attackman Jon Hinks scored, giving the Ephs the lead. Seven minutes later, the Dutchmen came back to tie the score 8-8 with a goal from Hayden Frey assisted by James Diver. With great lock-on defense from both teams, the game went into overtime. During overtime, possession switched back and forth between both teams due to key turnovers until Union was able to take advantage of the ball and midfielder Charlie McGovern scored for the Dutchmen, sealing the win.

Eph goalie George Peele played the entire game and made 8 saves. The Dutchmen also used one goalie this game, Sam Bebout, who made 10 saves. 

Union was led by Kerry Lyne with a whopping five goals. The Ephs were led by senior James McFarland and freshman Jared Strauss who both netted two goals. Also, defensemen Rock Stewart and Cameron Brown scored two important goals for Williams.

Eph head coach George McCormack stated, "We had a slow start but really picked it up in the 2nd half out-scoring them 5-3. We need to continue to work on our execution and get better every game."

 The Ephs return to action this coming Saturday at Trinity for a NESCAC matchup taking on the Bantams at 1pm. The Union College Dutchmen will next play at Springfield College on Saturday at 1pm.

The Passing of Renzie Lamb
November 19, 2018 The Passing of Renzie Lamb
Williams Tops Colby 16-12
April 14, 2018 Williams Tops Colby 16-12
Williams Tops Trinity
March 10, 2018 Williams Tops Trinity
Union Defeats Williams
March 6, 2018 Union Defeats Williams