Williams Tops Trinity

Henry Hobbs '18
Henry Hobbs '18

Hartford, CT– The Williams College Ephs (1-2/1-1 NESCAC) defeated the Trinity College Bantams (1-2/0-1 NESCAC) 10-9 in today's match-up on Jessee/Miller Field on the campus of Trinity College. 

Coming into the second half of the game down by three scores, 6-3, the Ephs were able to take control of the game and outscore the Bantams 7-3 with a string of goals led by sophomore Brendan Hoffman.

The first three minutes of the ball game had hard-fought defense from both teams until John Hincks assisted by Kevin Stump netted a goal. A stalemate soon ensued and at 3:55 Trinity's  Brian Crowe tied the score up at 1-1. Less than a minute later, senior captain James McFarland for the Ephs answered back and Trinity soon countered with a goal in the final minute of the first quarter, which ended tied 2-2.

Right off of the face off, the Bantams were able to take the momentum of their last goal and ten seconds off of a fast break, the Bantams took the lead for the first time in the game thanks to sophomore midfielder Andrew Collins. The Ephs soon tied up the score for the third time in the game with a goal from sophomore Kevin Stump. Four minutes later, the Bantams took control and netted three goals in a row by Ben Knaus, Drew Kozub and Ben Ferrucci to take a 6-3 lead into halftime.

Coming out of halftime, Williams was able to capture the momentum of the entire second half and off of an amazing clear, sophomore Brendan Hoffman shot and scored for Ephs, making it just a two-goal game. Four minutes later, Williams scored another hard-fought goal after Kevin Stump earned his second goal of the day. Less than fifteen seconds later, freshman Calvin Collin found a goal for the Ephs to tie the score up 6-6. At 7:12 left in the third quarter, Jared Strauss put one in the back of the goal after an amazing effort to give the Ephs a lead over the Bantams once again. And within the final thirty seconds left in the quarter, Trinity scored to tie up the score 7-7.

In the first minute of the fourth quarter, Williams gained control of the game on Brendan Hoffman's second goal of the day at 14:14. The Ephs then created a second unanswered goal, this one by freshman Cory Lund, in an effort to pull away from the Bantams. Five minutes off of a clear, Trinity answered back with a goal from Ben Ferrucci assisted by Morty Fearey. John Hincks scored once again for the Ephs of a stellar shot to give Williams a 10-8 lead. With nine seconds left in the matchup, Ben Knaus for Trinity scored to make the final score 10-9 in favor of Wiliams.

Eph goalie George Peele played the entire game and made 15 saves. The Bantams also used one goalie this game, Woody Hamilton, who made 12 saves. 

Trinity was led by Ben Ferrucci with three goals along with Ben Knaus and Drew Kozub with two each.  The Ephs were led by sophomores Kevin Stump, Brendan Hoffman and John Hincks all with two scores.

Eph head coach George McCormack stated, "I was very happy with our second half play. We outscored them 7-3 and won the ground ball battle. I felt we really moved the ball around well and played together as a team today."

The Ephs return to action this coming Saturday on Farley-Lamb Field for a NESCAC matchup taking on Connecticut College at 1pm. The Trinity College Bantams will next play at Salve Regina on Wednesday at 4pm.


The Passing of Renzie Lamb
November 19, 2018 The Passing of Renzie Lamb
Williams Tops Colby 16-12
April 14, 2018 Williams Tops Colby 16-12
Williams Tops Trinity
March 10, 2018 Williams Tops Trinity
Union Defeats Williams
March 6, 2018 Union Defeats Williams