Wesleyan Downs Williams 13-5 in NESCAC Semifinal Contest

Cory Lund '21
Cory Lund '21

MIDDLETOWN, CT – Wesleyan University (14-2) broke open a 1-1 tie in the first quarter with a five-goal streak that stretched into the second quarter and went on to defeat Williams (9-8) 13-5 in the NESCAC Semifinal contest played at Wesleyan.

 Wesleyan opened the scoring when Ronan Jacoby scored an unassisted goal at 10:21.

The Ephs' Cory Lund tied the game at one all when he converted off the rebound of a shot by John Hincks. Lund scooped up the ball in front of Wesleyan goalie Otto Bohan and flipped the ball over the left shoulder of Bohan for the score. 

After the Lund tally Wesleyan ran off four unanswered goals to take a 5-1 lead at the end of the first quarter. Jacoby netted two more goals and Harry Stanton and Cole Turpin also scored in the string of goals by the Cardinals.

Cole Turpin's goal at 13:38 of the second quarter elevated the Wesleyan lead to 6-1 and the Ephs called a timeout to re-group. Williams out scored the host Cardinals 3-1 through the remainder of the second quarter to narrow the Wesleyan lead to three, 7-4 at the half.

A Brendan Hoffman low laser from 17 yards out to the right of Bohan narrowed the Wesleyan lead to 6-2 with 5:15 left in the half. Kevin Stump was credited with the assist on the Hoffman score.

Wesleyan's Taylor Ghesquiere scored with 59 seconds left in the first half and restored the Cardinals' 5-goal lead, 7-2.

Eph first year Cory Lund answered the Ghesquiere goal 37 seconds later when he was set up on a pass from Matthew Seligson. Lund scored from in front with a quick shot and the Ephs now were down 7-3.

With two seconds remaining in the half Eph defender Williams Sperry scored his first goal of the season. Sperry's goal was unassisted and made the score at the end of the first half Wesleyan 7 and Williams 4.

Wesleyan scored the only two goals of the third period to give the Cardinals a 9-4 lead with one quarter left to be played. Taylor Ghesquiere and Carter Hawthorne scored for the second time in the game in the third quarter. Ghesquiere's goal was unassisted, while Ryan Lynch assisted on the Hawthorne goal.

Taylor Ghesquiere's third goal of the game made the score 10-4 in favor of the Cardinals with at 9:44 in the final quarter. With 4:53 left Ronan Jacoby scored unassisted for his fourth goal of the contest giving Wesleyan an 11-4 lead.

With 3:52 remaining John Hincks and James McFarland teamed up for an Eph goal. Hincks found McFarland free about 15 yards out to Bohan's left and McFarland unleashed a screamer inside the near post. McFarland's goal was the only score of the second half for Williams.

Ronan Jacoby answered the McFarland goal with his fifth goal on the day with Harry Stanton getting the assist at 2:01. Tom Martello scored the final goal of the game when Colin Uyeki set him up for a score with 1:01 remaining, making the final 13-5.

"It was a competitive game early on but our inability to take advantage of the early scoring opportunities came back to haunt us," said Eph head coach George McCormack.

Wesleyan's Ronan Jacoby led all scorers with five goals. Corey Lund led the Ephs with two goals. Carter Hawthorne delivered two goals and three assists for the Cardinals.

Wesleyan's Otto Bohan made 15 saves and allowed five goals, while the Ephs' George Peele made 13 saves and allowed 13 goals. The Cardinals collected 29 ground balls to the Ephs' 23. Wesleyan turned the ball over 15 times, and the Ephs committed 12 miscues.

Wesleyan registered five caused turnovers and the Ephs recorded four. Wesleyan out shot the Ephs 41-34.