Ephs Edge No. 11 Union 11-10

Ephs Edge No. 11 Union 11-10

Schenectady, NY - Coming off a two-goal run including an equalizer at 11:41 left in the fourth quarter by Kieran McGovern, Union looked to have momentum in their favor. Less than a minute later though, John Hincks was able to score off an assist from Cory Lund to put the Ephs up for good against a determined Union team.

The no.4 Williams College Ephs (2-0) traveled to Union College to take on the no. 11 ranked Dutchmen (2-1) for both teams' first ranked game of the season. The Ephs prevailed 11-10 over Union to keep their perfect start to the season.

Williams again started the game off well. Junior Harry Gahagan stopped an early Union shot and the Ephs were able to turn defense into offense as senior John Hincks scored after dancing past a defender to open up the game. Less than a minute later, Cory Lund scored from point-blank range to give Williams an early lead, 2-0. 

Union's Keaton McCann put Union on the board just after halfway through the opening quarter. At 5:31, Hayden Frey broke through the Williams defense and seemed to have a good look on goal, but Harry Gahagan made an incredible stop to keep the one-goal lead. Both defenses finished the quarter strong to keep the score at Williams 2 - Union 1.

Union opened the second quarter scoring after Kerry Lyne finished off a ground ball picked up by Kieran McGovern after a Harry Gahagan save. After more strong defense from both sides, Williams finally broke the deadlock at the 6:39 mark courtesy of Kevin Stump to regain the lead. Keaton McCann slid the ball into the net to notch his second goal of the night and even up the scoring. Union took their first lead of the game, 4-3, off a shot by Kerry Lyne with just over three minutes left in the first half. 

With a little over two minutes remaining, Union called a timeout, but the Williams defense came out of the stoppage strong to swiftly halt the Union attack. A penalty on Union allowed Williams to bring the game level with a minute and a half left off a goal from John Hincks. Hincks was able to put one more in before halftime to complete his hat trick and give the Ephs the 5-4 lead going into the break.

Cory Lund acrobatically opened the second half by scoring while falling backward off a feed from Jared Strauss. A quick transition goal just over a minute later from Jake Haase gave the Ephs their biggest lead of the night. A 30-second penalty against the Ephs at 8:38 allowed gave Union an opportunity to score, but Harry Gahagan came up with the stop; just after the penalty ended. Peter Burnes scored a short time later for the home team. 

The momentum stayed with Union as Jack Kaufman scored to put Union within a goal of Williams; Kerry Lyne quickly followed this effort up with one of his own to complete his hat trick and tie the game up. Williams regained the lead with 2:36 left to play off a goal from Mathew Seligson. This ignited the Williams offense for another goal less than 30 seconds later straight off the faceoff from Alex Kitt. Union goalie Graham Goldheim escaped high-pressure from Kevin Stump and Cory Lund to start a Union attack, but the Williams defense quickly regained possession. The third quarter ended 9-7 Williams.

Union turned defense into offense as Graham Goldheim saved a shot and started an offensive possession that ended with a goal from Kieran McGovern to bring the home side within one. Kieran McGovern scored again to pull the home side level with 11:41 remaining in the game.

Undeterred, the Williams offense came back stronger and John Hincks scored less than a minute later to give Williams a lead they would not relinquish. Cory Lund restored the 2-goal lead off an assist from Jake Haase before the 7-minute mark. With little over a minute remaining, Union's Hayden Frey scored a goal to bring the Dutchmen within one and ensure a nail biter, but strong play in the final minute helped Williams secure the win 11-10.

Williams used just one goalkeeper today with Harry Gahagan registering 13 saves and a .565 save percentage. Union also played one goalie, Graham Goldheim, who stopped 10 shots for a .476 save percentage.

The Ephs were led by John Hincks with four goals and Cory Lund, three goals. Four Williams players registered two assists. Williams won 16 of 24 faceoffs while Union came out ahead in ground balls 39-36.

"Very proud of our composure today," said Eph head coach George McCormack. Union College is such a tenacious team and we all knew it would come down to the final minutes. We feel very fortunate to get a victory on the road midweek versus such a quality opponent," said Ephs coach George McCormack. He then added, "Harry and Kitt came up big all night in the cage and at the face-off X." 

The Ephs look forward to their home opener on Saturday, March 7th at 1:00 p.m against Colby College. Union will play their next match away at Springfield College on the 7th at 1:00 p.m.