Ephs and Camels Play to a 1-1 Draw

Geoff Danilack '16
Geoff Danilack '16

WILLIAMSTOWN, MA – Perhaps in a game that lacked offensive rhythm it was only fitting that the Williams College men and Connecticut College played to a 1-1 draw after 110 minutes.

With the tie Connecticut College is now 6-2-1 overall and 3-2-1 in NESCAC, while the Ephs are now 3-4-1 overall and 2-3-1 in NESCAC.

The first half of the game went searching for scoring threats as combined the two teams managed but four shots on goal.

Connecticut College had two shots inside the 18-yard box in the first half that were easily handled by Eph goalie Christian Alcorn, but it was a rocket from the top of the box by the Camels' Brian Manoogian in the 41st minute that had the most promise of a score. Manoogian collected a ball headed out of the box by an Eph defender and fired on the goal, forcing Alcorn to leap to tip the ball over the bar for a corner.

The Manoogian tester came a little over four minutes after the Ephs' best threat in the opening 45 minutes.

Eph back TL Guest played a ball over the top to Malcolm Moutenot who got a step on a defender and fired a low screamer from the right side of the box in search of the far left panel, but his attempt was just wide.

Williams opened the scoring in the game when first year Harrison Fyke teamed up with senior striker Mohammed Rashid. Racing down the right side of the 18-yard box Rashid's rolling pass found Fyke on the doorstep and the first year calmly slotted the ball into the net at 72:24.

It took the Camels just 5:49 to tally the equalizer at 78:13. Camels' forward Mark Leon carried the ball to the end line to the left of Alcorn and sent a pass back towards the middle of the six-yard box where it glanced off an Eph defender to the right foot of Matthew Bitchell, who one-time the ball past Alcorn's out-stretched right hand.

At 95:48 Matthew Bitchell almost ended the contest when he fired a low tester from just inside the top left corner of the box, forcing Alcorn to go down on his right side to keep the ball out of the goal.

On the day Connecticut goalie Austin DaCunah stopped four of five Eph shots, while the Ephs' Christian Alcorn turned aside seven of eight attempts by the Camels.

This was the third consecutive game that the Ephs played double overtime in and it was the first one they had not lost. "We saw a good fighting spirit today, in an incredibly competitive early October game with both teams fighting for points," said Eph head coach Erin Sullivan. "We were competing, it's just a matter of consistency and we're still working on the demons of closing out games. This has been a work in progress and our players are all looking critically at how they can make incremental gains that will make a difference."

Next up for Connecticut College is home non-conference contest with Eastern Connecticut on Wednesday, while the Ephs will return to action next Saturday for a road non-conference match at RPI.