Williams and Endicott battle to a 1-1 draw

Malcolm Moutenot '17
Malcolm Moutenot '17

Beverly, MA – The Williams and Endicott men's soccer teams fought hard for 110 minutes, but neither one was able to gain the ultimate advantage, as the match ended in a 1-1 draw.

Overall, Williams is now 4-4-2, while Endicott's record is 10-1-2. For Williams, it's the second straight game in which they challenged a Division III team recieving votes in the national poll, beating 8th ranked RPI 1-0 on Saturday night.

The Ephs' attack started the match off very strong, as Mohammed Rashid took advantage of an open look 50 seconds into the game, sniping the ball towards the net, but Endicott goalie Nick Weinstein reacted well and got the save. However, Williams continued its strong offensive pressure, recording three more shots in the next 15 minutes, but the Ephs were unable to capitalize on these chances.

In the 18th minute, Endicott used quick, sharp passing to rush down the field past the Ephs' defense, ending one of their first real attacking chances with a pass across the middle by Robert Hartan to star attacker Abdullah Al Khalifa, who slotted his seventh goal of the season past Williams goalie Christian Alcorn to give Endicott a one goal lead. For the rest of the half, Endicott controlled the ball, taking four shots, but couldn't extend their lead.

Williams started the second half quick and fast, just like the beginning of the match. Troy Ritter and Mark Sisco-Tolomeo each took a shot that went wide, building enough momentum for Malcolm Moutenot to maneuver through the Endicott midfield and pass to Ritter, who blasted a shot through traffic and past Weinstein into the upper left corner to tie the match at one.

Neither team was able to establish control for the rest of the half, though Endicott's Shintaroh Itoh took two well placed shots within a three-minute span, but Alcorn was able to save both of them.

In the 83rd minute, Mark Sisco-Tolomeo wove his way through the Gulls' back line and took a quick shot against Weinstein, who preserved the deadlock going into the first overtime period.

In the last twenty minutes of the game, the match was dominated by passing and strong defense. As a result of this strong protection from both teams, no shots on goal were recorded during either overtime period, leaving the match in a predictable tie.

Both Christian Alcorn of Williams and Nick Weinstein of Endicott stopped three of four shots on goal.
After the match, Ephs head coach Erin Sullivan said, "We fell behind early tonight and did not show enough conviction, poise, or quality to win the match. We simply have to make better decisions and find more effective solutions in the attacking third."

This Saturday, Williams will visit Wesleyan for a 1:30 P.M. match, while Endicott will host Western New England College on Saturday at 3:30.