WILLIAMSTOWN, MA - The Ephs put on an excellent performance to beat F&M in a 6-3 thriller on Sunday.
Initially, it was a slow start for the Ephs. Sophomores Will Means (#3) and Claude Smith (#6), together with junior Will Ruggiero (#9) started the day off for the Ephs. While Ruggiero earned a straightforward 3-0 win, Means and Smith both finished on the wrong end of their matches, Means by a 3-0 scoreline and Smith by a 3-1.
With the Ephs down 2-1, sophomores Carl Shuck (#2) and David Pincus (#5), as well as junior Anand Butler (#8) took the court. Shuck and Butler each put in brilliant performances en route to a pair of 3-0 victories. Pincus fought hard but ultimately finished on the wrong end of a five game battle, leaving the match deadlocked at 3-3 going into the final wave of play.
Juniors John Fitzgerald (#1) and Ben Eisenberg (#7), along with freshman Wyatt Khosrowshahi (#4) came out with the match in the balance and all three never missed a beat, putting in a trio of strong performances to finish off an emphatic victory for the Ephs. Khosrowshahi and Eisenberg delivered another pair of strong 3-0 victories. Fitzgerald, up against a very strong opponent, went down 2-1 before coming back superbly to win in five games.
After the match, Eph head coach Zafi Levy had this comment: "Fantastic win by the the men's team. We haven't beaten F&M since 2009, so this win is special. Great performance by all nine players who dug deep today to get us across the finish line."
The Ephs look forward to another loaded weekend of squash January 27-28, with Little Three Championships on Saturday and matches against MIT and UVA on Sunday.
1. John Fitzgerald (WILL) def. Sanjay Jeeva (FMCM) 9-11, 13-11, 1-11, 12-10, 11-7
2. Carl Shuck (WILL) def. Silvio Soom (FMCM) 11-9, 11-8, 11-6
3. Yannis Senkel (FMCM) def. Will Means (WILL) 11-3, 11-8, 11-8
4. Wyatt Khosrowshahi (WILL) def. Saam Fulton (FMCM) 11-5, 11-5, 11-6
5. Boden Polikoff (FMCM) def. David Pincus (WILL) 11-8, 3-11, 4-11, 11-8, 11-6
6. King Bassett (FMCM) def. Claude Smith (WILL) 6-11, 11-4, 11-4, 11-5
7. Ben Eisenberg (WILL) def. Ricardo Machado (FMCM) 11-7, 11-6, 11-7
8. Anand Butler (WILL) def. Frank Murray (FMCM) 11-7, 11-8, 11-7
9. William Ruggiero (WILL) def. Michael Sorochev (FMCM) 11-2, 11-2, 11-3
10. Mason Elizondo (WILL) def. Christopher Taylor (FMCM) 11-5, 11-0, 11-2