AMHERST-- The Williams men's tennis team advanced to Sunday's NESCAC final with a 5-4 win over Middlebury.
Needing four of six singles matches, Williams relied on upperclassmen leadership. Junior Matt Micheli and senior Felix Sun played focused tennis en route to straight set wins at numbers two and three. Bryan Chow won his first set, but dropped his second. Chow's third set went down to the wire, but Chow would eventually take it in a tiebreak. Senior Trey Meyer clinched the match with another three set win. Meyer split the first two sets but went on the win the third 6-3.
Coach Dan Greenberg was pleased to advance: "we knew this would be a tough match, we started a little flat and they played good doubles but I was happy with how our guys responded in singles."
Williams advances to play Amherst tomorrow in the NESCAC final.
1. Trey Meyer (WILLIAMS) def. Alex Johnston (MID) 6-2, 6-7 (0-4), 6-3
2. Matt Micheli (WILLIAMS) def. Brantner Jones (MID) 6-3, 6-2
3. Felix Sun (WILLIAMS) def. Palmer Campbell (MID) 6-2, 6-0
4. Spencer Lunghino (MID) def. Zach Weiss (WILLIAMS) 6-7, 6-3, 6-2
5. Bryan Chow (WILLIAMS) def. Jackson Frons (MID) 6-1, 4-6, 7-6 (2-0)
6. Courtney Mountifield (MID) def. Dylan Page (WILLIAMS) 6-2, 6-3
1. Alex Johnston/Andrew Lebovitz (MID) def. Alex Schidlovsky/Trey Meyer (WILLIAMS) 8-5
2. Felix Sun/Matt Micheli (WILLIAMS) def. Brantner Jones/James Burke (MID) 8-4
3. Spencer Lunghino/Palmer Campbell (MID) def. Bryan Chow/Brian Astrachan