SAN DIEGO, CA – On Monday the Williams men's tennis team started its spring season by playing two matches, one against San Diego Mesa College, and the other against Point Loma. The Ephs enjoyed great success in the fall, both collectively and individually. Brian Grodecki '18 and Austin Barr '21 won the singles titles in the ITA Tournament and the MIT Fall Invitational, respectively. The team, meanwhile, won its matches against Springfield and Vassar.
The men opened their spring break strong against San Diego Mesa. In both singles and doubles, they dominated the Olympians, winning all nine of their matches by the end. The Ephs opted to play the same six players in both disciplines, five of whom were returning from last year's team. The lone first-year, Calvin Chung, played very well in both of his matches, winning 6-0, 6-2 with partner Alex Taylor '20, and winning his singles match 6-0, 6-1.
The Point Loma Sea Lions proved to be more of a challenge. Driven by their five singles wins, the Sea Lions came out on top, 6-3. Clearly, this was a very different Point Loma team than from last year; in 2017, Williams beat them 9-0, although nearly every match was close. In this respect, not much had changed from last year. The difference, in the end, was that the Sea Lions were able to out their matches in a way that they hadn't been able to last year.
The Ephs started out with two strong doubles victories from Barr/Grodecki and Kam '21/Sadowski '18. Sophomores Ananth Raghavan and Benjamin Lebowitz could not complete the sweep unfortunately, making the score 2-1 heading into singles play.
Here, Point Loma separated themselves from their opponent. The sole win came from first-year Arturo Kam, who won comfortably 6-1, 6-1. Raghavan and Sadowsky took their matches to a third set, but both lost 6-4.
"It was a tough loss at Point Loma, but it was great that everyone was able to play today," reflected head coach Dan Greenberg '08. "I thought everyone competed well for our first match of the spring."
The Ephs will return to the courts tomorrow, March 20 against the Cerritos Falcons. The match will be held at 2:00 PM PDT/5:00 PM EDT.
Williams 9, San Diego Mesa 0
- Alex Taylor/Calvin Chung (W) def. Sasha Kovacevic/Balraj Sangha (S) – 6-0, 6-2
- Sachin Raghavan/Deepak Indrakanti (W) def. Alex Srievdom/Jordan Lee (S) – 6-0, 6-0
- Yuxin (Christopher) Wu/Christian O'Connor (W) def. John Cunningham/Sergio Martin Del Campo (S) – 6-0, 6-0
- Sachin Raghavan (W) def. Sasha Kovakevic (S) – 6-1, 6-0
- Alex Taylor (W) def. Balraj Sangha (S) – 6-0, 6-1
- Deepak Indrakanti (W) def. Jordan Lee (S) – 6-0, 6-0
- Calvin Chung (W) def. Sergio Martin Del Campo (S) – 6-0, 6-1
- Christian O'Connor (W) def. Alex Sreivdom (S) – 6-1, 6-1
- Yuxin (Christopher) Wu (W) def. John Cunningham (S) – 6-0, 6-0
Point Loma 6, Williams 3
- Austin Barr/Brian Grodecki (W) def. Brendon Millington/Jack Alston (P) – 8-6
- Jordan Sadowsky/Arturo Kam (W) def. Thomas Dafcik/Yuki Okamoto (P) – 8-6
- CJ Erion/Grant Alston (P) def. Benjamin Lebowitz/Ananth Raghavan (W) – 8-2
- Thomas Dafcik (P) def. Brian Grodecki (W) – 6-0, 6-3
- Brendon Millington (P) def. Austin Barr (W) – 6-3, 7-5
- Yuki Okamoto (P) def. Ananth Raghavan (W) – 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
- Arturo Kam (W) def. CJ Erion (P) – 6-1, 6-1
- Jack Alston (P) def. Jordan Sadowsky (W) – 6-2, 1-6, 6-4
- Tim Soderman (P) def. Benjamin Lebowitz (W) – 6-2, 6-2