CLAREMONT, CA – On Sunday, the #11 Williams College Ephs (4-2) faced the #14 Pomona-Pitzer Sagehens (10-4). Although they began the day with a few losses in doubles, the Ephs turned it around in singles. In the end, they won, 6-3.
The doubles section of the match featured some brutal finishes for Williams. The first two pairs brought their matches to a tiebreak, but both lost, giving the Sagehens an early two-point lead. Jordan Sadowsky '18 and Arturo Kam '21 came up clutch in the third match, winning 8-5 and, in doing so, salvaging a point for their team. With that win, the deficit the team faced heading into singles became much more manageable.
From then on, the Ephs went on a roll. They won 5 of their 6 singles matches, including two matches that went into a third set. After losing his first set, Austin Barr '21 came back strong, winning his next set decisively at 6-1, and then held on in the third for a 7-5 victory. His fellow first-year, Arturo Kam, also lost his first set, but then won a tiebreak in the second set to set up his 6-3 win in the third. The clutch play from the rookies was crucial to the victory, and was not lost on their coach.
"This was a great match for us," said head coach Dan Greenberg '08. "We were very up-and-down in doubles, but as the day went on, I felt our freshmen acclimating to the environment, and they came up with two huge wins at the end."
Their teammates, too, were essential in sealing the victory. "Our upperclassmen did a great job at getting some quick points on the board."
The win moved the Ephs to 5-2 on the year, with two matches left to go before they begin their NESCAC schedule. On Monday, the Ephs will head to Santa Barbara to face off against the Westmont College Warriors (5-5). The match will be held at 1:30 PM PDT/4:30 PM EDT.
Williams 6, Pomona-Pitzer 3
- Octave Bellet De Giacomoni/Kalyan Chadalavada (P) def. Brian Grodecki/Austin Barr (W) – 8-7 (7-5)
- Avery Bicks/Marko Mandic (P) def. Alex Taylor/Calvin Chung (W) – 8-7 (7-5)
- Jordan Sadowsky/Arturo Kam (W) def. Quinn Hirsohn/Jed Kronenberg (P) – 8-5
- Jed Kronenberg (P) def. Brian Grodecki (W) – 6-4, 6-3
- Austin Barr (W) def. Octave Bellet De Giacomoni (P) – 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
- Sachin Raghavan (W) def. Josh Gearou (P) – 6-3, 6-3
- Ananth Raghavan (W) def. Marko Mandic (P) – 6-2, 6-2
- Alex Taylor (W) def. Sam Malech (P) – 6-2, 6-2
- Arturo Kam (W) def. Jacob Schoenherr (P) – 4-6, 7-6, 6-3