BENNINGTON, VT – The Amherst College Mammoths (12-6) defeated the Nichols College Bison (20-4) 5-0 this afternoon in a match played indoors at the Bennington Tennis Center in the NCAA Second Round at the Williamstown, Mass. Regional.
Amherst will meet Williams in the Williamstown, Mass. Regional Final tomorrow at 1:30 PM on the campus of Williams College with the winner of that match advancing to the national quarterfinals being hosted by Claremont Mudd Scripps College in Claremont, Calif., May 21-24.
Amherst swept the doubles with the #3 pairing of Jesse Levitin/Sean Wei downing Brandon Howard/Igor Markowski, 8-2. The Mammoths' second point in the match came from the top of the ladder, where Zach Bessette/Jayson Fung topped August Moeller/Blake Norton, 8-3.
Amherst's #2 duo of Jon Heidenberg/Kevin Ma completed the sweep with an 8-5 win over Guilherme Barbosa/Peter Coletti.
Amherst's #2 singles player Kevin Ma edged the Mammoths one step closer to the win when he closed out Guilherme Barbosa in straight sets 6-1, 6-2.
The Mammoths' Sean Wei sent Amherst into the regional final when he recorded a straight sets victory over Brandon Howard, 6-3, 6-2.
Tennis Match Results Nichols vs. Amherst
May 12, 2018 at Williamstown, MA (Lansing Chapman Rink)
Amherst 5, Nichols 0
- Sean Wei (AMH) def. Brandon Howard (NC) 6-2, 6-3
- Kevin Ma (AMH) def. Guilherme Barbosa (NC) 6-1, 6-2
- Zach Bessette (AMH) def. Blake Norton (NC) 7-5, 1-1
- Brandon Stewart (NC) vs. Jayson Fung (AMH) no result
- August Moeller (NC) vs. Jesse Levitin (AMH) no result
- Jack Donaldson (NC) vs. Jon Heidenberg (AMH) no result
- Zach Bessette/Jayson Fung (AMH) def. August Moeller/Blake Norton (NC) 8-3
- Jon Heidenberg/Kevin Ma (AMH) def. Guilherme Barbosa/Peter Coletti (NC) 8-5
- Jesse Levitin/Sean Wei (AMH) def. Brandon Howard/Igor Markowski (NC) 8-2
Match Notes: Nichols 20-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,1) T-2:15 A-30