SAN DIEGO, CA – Host Point Loma Nazarene Sea Lions (5-4) entered today's match riding a four-match win streak, while to Ephs (0-1)entered off a season opening loss to Harvard. One of PLU's wins was a 4-3 victory over Navy back on March 13.
The match was played with the one team point awarded to the team winning the doubles matches, instead of the usual NCAA DIII format where each doubles match is worth one point. Under this system four points wins the team match when combined with the doubles result as only there will only be seven points in the match.
Williams took a 1-0 lead into singles with 6-1 wins at number one doubles and number two, and also notched a 6-2 win at number three.
Sophomore Noah Reich's straight sets win, 6-0, 6-0 at number six gave the Ephs a 2-0 lead in the match. However, moments after Calvin Chung won in straight sets 6-1, 6-1 at three the rains came and ended the day with the Ephs poised to claim the win.
Eph head coach Dan Greenberg stated, "We played a great match, but unfortunately the rain kept us from finsihing."
- Alex Taylor/Peter Frelinghuysen (W) def. Thomas Dafcik/Yuki Okamato (P) – 6-1
- Calvin Chung/Arturo Kam (W) def. Scott Wheeler/ Tim Soderman (P) – 6-1
- Deepak Indrakanti/Austin Barr (W) def. Mark Vassat/Mark Penner (P) – 6-2
1. Thomas Dacik (P) vs. Arturo Kam (W) – 6-0, 3-2
2. Ananth Raghavan (W) vs. Yuki Okamato (P) -- 6-5
3. Calvin Chung (W) vs. Tim Soderman (P) -- 6-1, 6-1
4. Alex Taylor (W) vs. Scott Wheeler (P) – 6-3, 3-0
5. Peter Frelinguysen (W) vs. Mart Vasat (P) – 6-1, 1-2
6. Noah Reich (W) def. Jasdeep Paintal (P) – 6-0, 6-0