Ephs tie Bantams 1-1

Meghan Halloran '21/Ryan Coleman, D3Photography.com
Meghan Halloran '21/Ryan Coleman, D3Photography.com

Williamstown, MA-The Williams Ephs (10-6-6, 4-5-5, NESCAC) tied the Trinity Bantams (5-14-1, 1-10-1 NESCAC) during their second matchup of the season.

After a comfortable victory last night, the Ephs wanted a repeat. They began the first period with the confidence to dominate the game and keep the puck on the Bantam end, challenging Trinity netminder senior Sydney Belsinkas with 15 shots. Three minutes into the game, the Ephs had an exciting opportunity to get the one goal lead when sophomore Amanda Reisman intercepted a Bantam pass in the neutral zone. Reisman tipped the puck to give herself a breakaway towards Belsinkas. Reisman's puck handling was not quite enough to confuse Belsinkas and the shot was saved.

In net for the Ephs was sophomore Marissa Anderson who brags a 91.5% save rate in her ten games she's played this season.

As the gamer persisted into the second period, the score remained scoreless but the frustration from the Ephs could be felt even in the spectators. The Ephs continued to outshoot and outplay the Bantams but their efforts on the ice was not represented on the scoreboard. Finally, it was Trinity who broke the scoreless tension.

At 11:28 into the second period, the Bantams scored a full strength goal. A miscommunication in the neutral zone resulted in a 2-on-1 predicament in favor of the Bantams. Junior Claire Foran was in possession of the puck down the left side of the Ephs zone. Just when Foran was about to take a shot, she faked and instead centered a pass to freshman Abigail Riskevich. Riskevich one timed a shot over the shoulder of Anderson for her first goal of her college career.

Shortly after Riskevich scored her first goal of her season, she was called for a holding penalty at 13:27. When Bantam freshman Kayla Milofsky was called for tripping at 14:33, the Ephs had a two-man advantage for one minute. This was the opportunity the Ephs desperately needed to equalize the score.

The Ephs were able to set up some great chances in front of the Bantam net and tested Belsinkas' talent as a goaltender. Just seconds after Riskevich's penalty had expired, the Ephs finally managed to seal the deal with a second period goal of their own. A shot from the previous play was deflected toward the sideboards. Senior Candace Lu was passed the puck who then passed it to classmate, Eliza Quigley. Quigley took the shot from the left point. The shot made it through the mess of players in front of Belsinkas who made the initial save. The rebound was deflected to the right side of the net where freshman Gabbi Montembeault was waiting patiently. Montembeault one timed a shot into the top left pocket to tie up the game. The goal was Montembeualt's second goal of the season.

With the score at 1-1 at the end of the second, both teams were desperate to get the winning goal. A good chance arose for the Ephs around five minutes into the period. Montembeault and Reisman set up a 2-on-1 opportunity but when Montembeault centered the pass to Reisman, Reisman could not quite finish the play off.

Several penalties were given in the middle of the period. Montembeault served a delay of game penalty at 9:59 and Trinity was assessed a penalty for too many players on the ice at 11:17. Lu and senior Bantam Kelcie Finn were then called for matching penalties for slashing and holding respectively. Despite the plethora of penalties, no goals were scored.

At 16:55, it seemed that Ephs had scored the game winning goal when the puck happened to find the back of the net after a flurry of frantic action in front of Belsinkas. The goal, however, was waved off as Montembeualt was ruled to have caught the puck and thrown it in the goal.

The game ended with a 1-1 tie, which sent both teams to a five-minute, sudden death overtime. With less than six seconds left in the game, Trinity pulled Belsinkas in one last attempt to get their second conference win. Unfortunately, no team could score and the game ended in a 1-1 tie.

"We played well but we just need to put pucks into empty nets when we get those opportunities," head coach Meghan Gillis said. "We have a week to prepare for Middlebury and we'll be focusing on finishing the plays we set up."

The Ephs will take have the upcoming week off and return to action on Feb. 16 when they host Middlebury in a 7:00 PM contest. The floowing evening the Ephs will closeout their regualr season with a game at Middlebury that will also begin at 7:00 PM.



Ephs tie Bantams 1-1
February 3, 2018 Ephs tie Bantams 1-1
Amherst Defeats Williams 5-3
January 27, 2018 Amherst Defeats Williams 5-3
Ephs Down Polar Bears 5-2
January 5, 2018 Ephs Down Polar Bears 5-2
Ephs tie Cardinals 2-2
December 2, 2017 Ephs tie Cardinals 2-2