Bantams top Ephs 16-10

Bantams top Ephs 16-10

WILLIAMSTOWN, MA - Williams women's lacrosse fell 16-10 in this afternoon's contest with visiting Trinity. The Ephs stand at 1-2 on the season, with a 0-2 record in the NESCAC, while Trinity improved to 2-0 overall and 1-0 in the conference.

Rookie Lilly Wellenbach led the way for Williams with three goals, with Sam Weinstein and Katie Ellis chipping in two each. Meanwhile, four Bantams scored hat-tricks: Caite Irvine, Meghan Leanord, Caroline Hayes, and Hadley Duncan.

Trinity netminder Olivia Whitney had eight saves, while Williams' Ali Piltch stopped ten shots. Five of Trinity's goals came off free position attempts.

The first twenty minutes of the contest were hotly contested. Trinity made its way onto the board first with a goal only 1:10 into the game on a  free position shot from Irvine, but Williams came right back with an unassisted goal from Weinstein 1:20 later before taking the lead with 21:27 to play in the half on a man-up opportunity, scoring with another solo effort by Weinstein. Three consecutive Trinity goals made the score 4-2 with 12:35 to play, but a goal from Wellenbach on a free position shot with 6:17 to play cut the Bantams' lead in half.  

At that point, Trinity called timeout. Coming out of the stoppage, they took control of the game, ripping off five goals in the final 5:27 of the half to enter the break up 9-3. The goals included two unassisted forays to the net by Duncan and another free position shot from Irvine.

Wellenbach opened the second-half scoring 2:02 into the half with a slashing left-to-right run to the net that put her one-on-one with Whitney; the Eph finished, making the score 9-4. Trinity responded with a three-goal run capped by Irvine's final goal of the game with 24:05 to play.

Williams would not go down without a fight, as the team went on a four-goal run between the 21 minute and nine minute mark to make the score 12-8, highlighted by two unassisted goals from Ellis. Trinity again called time out to help stifle the Eph run, and soon put the game out of reach, as they pulled the ball out wide and forced the Ephs to press defensively, allowing them to go on a four-goal run of their own between the eight- and three-minute marks. Williams scored two in the closing minutes of the game, making the final 16-10.

"I was pretty happy with a lot of the things we did, but I was unhappy with the lapse in the first half where they took a lead," Williams head coach Chris Mason said. "Their confiednce gets going and ours starts wavering after that. We can be succsseful if we can just be consistent through both halves." 

Williams next plays Williams Smith in Florida at 2:30 pm on Monday, while Trinity travels to Union tomorrow to play at 12 pm. 

*Due to technical challenges, the box score does not reflect Trinity's total shots on goal.