Women’s Lacrosse falls to Colby 11-9

Emily Whicker '13
Emily Whicker '13
WILLIAMSTOWN, MA—Williams Women's Lacrosse (7-5, 2-5 NESCAC) fell to Colby College (9-1, 6-1 NESCAC) on Saturday in a hard fought 11-9 overtime loss. The Ephs came back from a two-goal halftime deficit to force overtime but could not overcome Colby in the final minutes. 

Williams came out aggressive in the first half, scoring just 25 seconds into the game with a goal by Bridget Malicki (Loudonville, NY). Colby found their footing around the 20:00 mark with a goal by Lindsey McKenna, assisted by Katharine Eddy, to get on the board.  McKenna netted another goal for Colby at 15:06. Williams responded quickly with an unassisted goal by Nancy Palmer (Lakeville, CT) at 14:14.

At the 13:00 mark, Colby's Katie Griffin began an impressive 3-0 scoring run for the Mules. Griffin scored at 13:01, 9:21 and 5:15 to give the Mules a 5-2 lead. Williams' Natalie Gill (Medfield, MA) fired an unassisted shot at 4:17 that found the back of the net and slowed Colby's momentum going into halftime. At the break the Mules led Williams 5-3.

The Ephs opened the second half with a 3-0 run to take a one goal lead over Colby. Bridget Malicki (26:55) and Stephanie Gallo (Manhasset, NY) (25:16 and 24:32) tallied goals for the Ephs to force a Colby timeout to recollect at the beginning of the half. After the timeout Colby and Williams traded goals with Colby's Alex Mintz scoring at 19:25 followed by an Ephs goal by Natalie Gill assisted by Bridget Malicki at 13:48 and yet another Colby goal at 10:43 by Katharine Eddy. Colby took the lead at 9:08 off another goal by Eddy. The Mules added to their lead at 5:21 when Hilary Barr scored off a rebound from a shot attempt by teammate Lindsey McKenna.

The Ephs responded to Colby's scoring surge with a powerful goal by captain Sam Weinstein (Marblehead, MA) at 4:29. With 3:00 left in regulation, Williams' Natalie Gill converted a turnover by Colby's keeper into a game-tying open net goal. Neither team scored for the remainder of regulation and the game entered overtime tied 9-9.

The teams traded shots in the first overtime period. But, Colby's Lindsay McCabe was the first to find the back of the net with just 6.3 seconds left on the clock. Despite having chances in the second overtime period, the Ephs we unable to score and Colby sealed their victory with an open goal shot by Alex Mintz in the final seconds of overtime to win the game 11-9.
Williams led Colby in shots (28-25) and draw controls (15-9) while Colby led in ground ball (13-10). Both teams tallied 15 turnovers. Colby goalie Michelle Burt had 10 saves and Ali Piltch (Bryn Mawr, PA) earned 7 stops for the Ephs.

The Ephs will pursue a NESCAC victory against Hamilton on April 17th in Williamstown.