Ephs Fall to Mammoths 14-8

Kate Pattison '19
Kate Pattison '19

WILLIAMSTOWN, MA—Williams (4-6 / 1-5 NESCAC) took on Amherst (9-1 / 5-1 NESCAC) on Farley-Lamb Field this afternoon. 

The game finished with an Amherst win, 14-8. After posting two goals to the Mammoths' nine in the first half of the game, the Ephs out scored their opponents 6-5 in the second half.

The game started fairly evenly. With play near the goal cut off by forced turnovers on each side. Competition became intense quickly, and just 4 minutes into play Williams first-year Claire Fitzpatrick had been given a yellow card for slashing. Shortly following this penalty Amherst scored the first goal of the game, an unassisted shot down the middle by first-year Claire Dunbar.

After several more minutes of play, punctuated by unsuccessful free position attempts, the Ephs put their own score on the board. A free position attempt for junior Emma Tenbarge became a goal with her low, high speed shot sneaking between the goalie's legs. Eight minutes into play, the score was tied at 1-1.

This tie score did not last, however, and this first goal from the Ephs was followed by six consecutive goals from the Mammoths. Three of these goals were scored by senior Julia Crerend, and three were assisted by Dunbar.

Williams got in one more goal before halftime, a shot from the left side by first-year Meghan Halloran with Fitzpatrick on the assist. Amherst then scored twice more.

At the end of the half the Mammoths were up 9-2.

In the second half of the game there were five Amherst goals. Of these, Crerend scored two. The Ephs netted six goals, with Fitzpatrick and first-year Olivia Gomez each scoring twice. Fitzpatrick also posted two assists.

One particularly exciting Williams goal came when there was 7:26 remaining on the clock. The Ephs had recently scored their 5th goal and had remained aggressively on the offensive ever since. In the two minutes following that goal play was consistently close to the Amherst net and the Ephs took two shots, one saved by Mammoth goalkeeper Talia Land and one wide of the net. Amherst first-year Maia Noyes had taken possession of the ball and was attempting to clear it when Williams sophomore Kara Wollmers forced a turnover and picked up the ground ball. She made a swift pass to junior teammate Kailie Saudek who drove the ball straight into the net. This brought the score to 13-6. Amherst scored once more following this moment and Williams scored twice—one by Saudek.

Eph head coach Alice Lee said of the loss, "We were a little slow to get started. We came in hot in the second half, and we just needed to find that sooner." Speaking to the game's powerful final half from the Ephs, she commented that the players, "Went out with a lot of fire." This fire paid off, as the Ephs won that half of the competition. Lee stated, "We caused so many turnovers in the second half, and just went at them hard. Offensively, we went straight for the cage, and it was hard for them to stop us once we got started."

Overall, Amherst's Crerend led for scoring, with a total of six goals. Three Ephs and two Mammoths followed with two scores each. Amherst and Williams were close to equal in their shots—Amherst leading 25-24—and the Mammoths totaled 18 shots on goal against the Ephs' 15. Defensively, the Ephs led by a wide margin in caused turnovers. They had 15 while Amherst had 5.

Talia Land played the full 60 minutes in goal for the Mammoths and saved 7 of the 15 shots on goal. Sophomore Kami Cisneros started and ended the game for the Ephs, saving 3 of the 14 shots on goal during her 45 minutes in play. Junior Ana Alvarenga played for the first 15 minutes of the second half and saved 1 of 4 shots on goal.

In total, 4 yellow cards were given during this game—2 went to Amherst players and 2 went to Williams players.

The Ephs will next be playing at 5:00PM EST on Tuesday, April 10th, at Hamilton College.