Ephs Toppled By Trinity 14-9

Ephs Toppled By Trinity 14-9

HARTFORD, CT - The Williams College women's lacrosse team (1-2/0-2 NESCAC) was defeated by the Trinity College Bantams (2-0/1-0 NESCAC) 14-9 on Saturday. Though the Ephs ran about even with the Bantams in draw controls and ground balls, Trinity was able to clear the ball at a much higher rate than Williams.

Three players on the field scored three goals apiece: Williams' own Sophia Millay, Trinity's Sydney Bell, and Trinity's Mary French. Eph goalie Kami Cisneros saved nine of 23 shots, while Bantam goalie Gabriella Young, new to the team this year, saved 13 of 22.

Williams' first goal came after a little over seven minutes into the game, when junior Kailie Saudek slipped past Trinity's goalie to score. However, the game had not begun well for the Ephs – Trinity scored three goals within the first six minutes.

Those first few unfortunate minutes caused the Ephs to tighten up their defense, and consequently, Trinity's next three shots did not find their mark. When two free position attempts by the Bantams were unsuccessful, Williams' Mason Yonge was able to pick up a fumbled ball and score. Trinity, up 3-2 and looking to retain their lead, was able to win the forthcoming draw control for the second time that game. Bantam Marcella Filbotte was able to score on a feed from Katie Berger, and was quickly followed by a successful far hash free position shot by Mary French, bringing Trinity's lead to 5-2.

Williams was able to pick up a couple of ground balls, and retain control over the ball for a couple of minutes. Isabel Perry, pursued by four Trinity players, was able to free herself with a bit of fancy footwork on Trinity's half of the field. However, a turnover gave the Bantams the initiative to clear the ball. After the first shot went wide, Trinity's Elle Fitzpatrick scored on a feed to bring the score to 6-2 with about 10 minutes left in the half. Neither team was able to score before the klaxon sounded the half, even though both were able to clear the ball multiple times.

The second half began the opposite way of the first – Bantams won the first draw, but turned it over and Williams' Kate Wollmers was able to convert into goal less than a minute into the second half. A seemingly invigorated Williams cleared the ball again with ease, and Millay scored assisted by Claire Fitzpatrick, bringing the score to 6-4.

A visibly more wary Trinity turned up the defensive heat, and Williams was unable to convert another draw control into another goal. The Bantams also pushed on the offensive side, scoring another goal that was answered by Williams' Claire Fitzpatrick assisted by Allison Norris netting a goal of her own.

Four minutes later in a run-and-gun rush, Trinity had increased the score to 9-5. The Ephs didn't take it lying down, as Millay put up her second goal of the game assisted by Suzanna Penikis. She was followed by Trinity's Bell scoring on a Bantam draw control, assisted by Katrina Angelucci. But in a stroke of bad luck, a stray ball bounced off Williams defensive player into the net, increasing the Eph's deficit to five.

Unfazed, Millay put up her third goal of the game on a free position shot, while Madison Fulcher-Millay did the same 20 seconds later on another free position, bringing the score to 11-8. But this late-game momentum was not enough to deter Trinity, who scored three times more before the end of the game. Kate Wollmers picked up her second goal of the day on a free position, but the final score of the day saw Trinity up 14-9 over the Ephs.

The Ephs will face off against Connecticut College at Weston Field next Saturday, March 16 at 12:00 PM.