FREDICKSBURG, VA – The #3 Williams
women's tennis team (5-1) opened play this morning in the Fab 5
Tournament being hosted by Mary Washington University with a match
vs. 4th ranked University of Chicago (10-3). Williams
emerged victorious 5-4.
Eph senior captain Ashley Parsons posted the match-clinching win prevailing at number six singles in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2, over Tiffany Nguyen. “I felt really good knowing that we had a senior captain in Ashley on the court for the deciding match,” noted Eph head coach Alison Swain.
UChicago entered the match having won eight of their last nine matches with the lone loss coming at the hands of #1 Emory 6-3. The Ephs rode a 3-match win streak into the match.
Due to inclement weather the match was moved inside where the teams were able to avail of five courts, which meant the Parsons/Nguyen matchup would be the decisive match.
The Ephs trailed 2-1 after doubles play, winning only at #2 doubles with Grace Baljon and Taylor French downing Jennifer Kung and Linden Li 8-5.
“We showed a lot of mental toughness and did a very good job of closing out matches when we had opportunities to do so,” noted Swain. “We stayed extremely positive and it was a total team effort. Being down 2-1 after doubles didn’t really bother us at all. I’m really, really proud of the team. We’ve talked about enjoying every moment this year because I feel we put too much pressure on ourselves last year, and the girls are taking the time to enjoy every moment. They were really excited to win.”
Two singles streaks were extended in the match with UC’s Kendra Higgins at number one winning for the 11th consecutive time and the Ephs Kristin Alotta notching her 39th consecutive singles victory with a straight set win at number two.
Next up for the Ephs is another match versus a nationally ranked opponent tomorrow at 9:00 AM when they put their 4-match win streak on the line against #11 Carnegie Mellon.
Williams 5, UChicago 4
1. Kendra Higgins/Chrissy Hu (UC) def. Nikki Reich/Kristin Alotta (W) – 8-5
2. Grace Baljon/Taylor French (W) def. Jennifer Kung/Linden Li (UC) – 8-5
3. Aswini Krishnan/Carmen Vaca Guzman (UC) def. Caroline Capute/Lucy Marchese (W) – 8-6
1. Kendra Higgins (UC) def. Grace Baljon (W) – 6-3, 6-2
2. Kristin Alotta (W) def, Jennifer Kung (UC) – 6-4, 6-2
3. Nikki Reich (W) def. Carmen Vaca Guzman (UC) – 6-3, 7-5
4. Lucy Marchese (W) def. Linden Li (UC) -- 6-2, 6-3
5. Chrissy Hu (UC) def. Caroline Capute (W) – 7-6(7-5), 7-5
6. Ashley Parsons (W) Tiffany Nguyen (UC) – 6-3, 6-2